After some rollers - 3 options at the moment.

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

I have an Elite gel turbo trainer, which I have not used that much over the last few years, but my gf now wants to use it, and as we have a little girl now, I realise time to get out on the bike is going to be more limited, so want to maximise opportunities to do so, and the ability to hop on at anytime, mid evening for example, for 30 minutes or an hour appeals immensely.

I would also like to have the option of rollers AND turbo, and this also gives us the option of training at the same time after the little one has hopefully gone to bed - we have a 102 mile sportive to aim for in August.

So with that in mind a set of rollers is decided upon.

I have ordered a set from Evans, but they will not be in stock for another 6 days, so I have time to cancel if I have made the wrong choice, or there is better out there for similar cash.

Option 1:
Minoura Action Roller Advance

minoura-action-roller-advance.jpg
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/minoura/action-roller-advance-ec007942
£180 down to £117 - less £5 voucher code, and what was at the time 4.5% quidco cashback, brings it in at about £107.
Only 3 reviews, but they are in the main good, and I notice it has aluminium rollers as opposed to plastic.
I carried out a search looking for reviews, and this one came up - same name, but looks completely different (But has excellent reviews):
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/minoura-actionroller-advance-rollers/
Action-roller-advance-2011-med.jpg
Anyone know what the story is there?

The only negative I can see, if it is one, is that these rollers are not conical - this can be seen as a plus or a minus it would seem.

Option 2:
Elite Arion Parabolic rollers

10846652-1381834463-135643.jpg
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/turbo-trainers-bicycle-rollers/elite-arion-parabolic-rollers/10846652.html
£200 down to £145 - 10% code brings it down to £130ish, and a few percent at quidco brings it down to somewhere in the region of £125.
Reviews on Wiggle are superb, 4.7 out of 5 from over 100 reviews, but these are not aluminium rollers - major downside or neither here nor there?

Option 3:
Tacx Antares Rollers T1000

TACXTRAI180000000000_1_zoom.jpg
£190 down to £133, less 12% discount code weighs in at around £117
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/trainers-rollers-trainers-rollers-tacx-antares-rollers-t1000/tacxtrai180000000000
Again these are not aluminium, but the reviews must speak for themselves?

To start with I am hoping to use this and the turbo in the living room/dining room, I guess on mats of some kind, and as we have space in the garage they may move out there.

Would appreciate some constructive opinions/view points on the above, and willing to take on any other alternatives at a similar price point.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• I have had the Minoura Action Roller Advance rollers for nearly a year now although only use them during the colder months. I use them mainly for recovery or lower intensity riding.

I have no complaints with the rollers and work as well now as they did when I got them.

I cannot comment on the other rollers you have listed
  • daniel_b
    I have had the Minoura Action Roller Advance rollers for nearly a year now although only use them during the colder months. I use them mainly for recovery or lower intensity riding.

I have no complaints with the rollers and work as well now as they did when I got them.

I cannot comment on the other rollers you have listed

Thanks for your reply, is that the very ones at the tops with the Aluminium rollers?

I intend to stick to the turbo for interval type workouts, and as I want to try and train my legs to increase cadence, am hoping the roller would be a good asset with regards to this.
    If you want to, do you feel you are able to have a decent workout on them, or in your opinion/experience are they best suited to low intensity/recovery style rides?

Oh and how do you find them for noise generated?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks for your reply, is that the very ones at the tops with the Aluminium rollers?

It is the aluminium ones but in the grey & red colour.
    I intend to stick to the turbo for interval type workouts, and as I want to try and train my legs to increase cadence, am hoping the roller would be a good asset with regards to this.
    If you want to, do you feel you are able to have a decent workout on them, or in your opinion/experience are they best suited to low intensity/recovery style rides?

I don't have a turbo to compare to but having to stay on the rollers does restricted just how hard you can go. They are brilliant for cadence and improving pedalling. Within a few short sessions my pedalling on the road felt smoother.

You could do a decent workout on them but mainly for longer intervals. Really depends on how strong and heavy you are as to the length of interval that would be minimum for you. I know for me a couple of minutes in top gear at a cadence at 100+ is very tough
    Oh and how do you find them for noise generated?

They are not as loud a a washing machine(I live in an upstairs flat so noise & vibration is a concern for me) and I can hear the TV if turned up(not to an overly loud level). Definitely quieter than turbos I have seen friends using
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    E64848_LRG.JPG

Oh someone was going to say it... :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daniel_b
    Thanks a lot for your reply Coopster - on closer inspection it would almost seem that the Evans and Wiggle items are identical, merely the colour is different, seems a bit strange, but if they are indeed the same item, as the name woudl suggest, then the raft of excellent reviews on Wiggle makes me think it may the one to go for, especially for £107!

Cadence and improving pedalling action is definitely high on my wish list for this coming year, and with the turbo, or just being out on the road for interval type training, I think it makes a good case for itself.

Just having the option to get some 'miles' in at the drop of the hat appeals, so at the moment the Minoura is looking the heavy favourite.
    E64848_LRG.JPG

Oh someone was going to say it... :P

Yes thankyou KB! :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i had the elite parabolic ones.

they are awesome.

however i much prefer a turbo so i swapped them with my mate.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I, too, have the elite parabolics. They are great.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    My mate had a turbo and pronounced it deathly dull, so I decided to get some rollers last year. I have the red and grey Minoura Action Advance Rollers and go on them in the winter time about once a week. I love them. I find doing 30 minutes on them very hard especially in the high gears and my skill level is such that I can now do a controllled push - imagine a lead out in a team time trial - which is more than sufficient for my needs. They give me a very challenging and technically demanding workout in a short space of time. Recommended.
  • I have some Tacx Galaxia rollers (in addition to a turbo) which have a parabolic shape which I recommend, whether its psychological or not they seem to help you keep in the centre of the rollers. ATM I am using the rollers for zone 2 rides due to the weather and the fact you can get more efficient use of your time than out on the road esp in the winter. I can be sat on the sofa at 8pm and riding 5 minutes later as opposed to faffing about with warm clothing / lights. Plus I reckon 45mins constant cycling on the rollers equals an hour on the road. I have done 1 hour sessions, but as I am not confident getting out of the saddle, the limiting factor seems to be a sore a**e. If you haven't used them before I would say you are right they are not ideal for hard intervals for the following reasons: 1. Its initially challenging to drink / towel down without a bit of wobble, so you will overheat very fast. 2. You cant just switch off and suffer or you'll come off! 3. As above getting out of the saddle efforts are difficult (although the galaxia moves on rockers which in theory makes this much easier to master).

As far as improving cadence they are excellent in my opinion, & once you start putting it in a bigger gear you really feel like you are forced to smooth your pedal stroke or you get punished. It stops you muscling a big gear if you don't have the right technique.