Wellgo/DMR V8 bearing size.

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,
I've just stripped down one of my Wellgo V8 copies, as it was feeling rough and had a bit of play. The bearings are in need of replacing. They look like they could be a 5/32" or 1/8" ball, but it's hard to be sure. Found one source online saying that the DMR ones take a 1/8 bearing, but the service kit sold by wiggle lists 5/32 bearings as part of the contents.

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience?

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    How much is the bearing kit?

Maybe it might be a good idea to get a complete new pair as they are £12? If the bearing kit costs any more than id say £8 then i would definitely go for new pedals.
  • jimothy78
    How much is the bearing kit?

Maybe it might be a good idea to get a complete new pair as they are £12? If the bearing kit costs any more than id say £8 then i would definitely go for new pedals.

oh, I was never going to buy the kit, just replace the balls. The kit was reference only.
    To be honest, the cups and cones have seen better days anyway, so this is more just about stretching out their life a little (ideally I'd only want to install new pedals after the worst of the winter slop is out of the way).

As for replacing them, I don't think I'll buy any more V8s - they're a bit chunky for my liking, plus after a good first impression I'm a bit disappointed at the quality of the seal, and as a result they've only really lasted a year. I'm sorely tempted by the Wellgo B164s on CRC, at £32 and only 370g they seem a pretty good bet. B185s are 50g lighter but look flimsy and don't look like they'd offer as much grip, either.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Mine were 1/8" (I've found old email with old order). The V8 are cheapo standard kit so don't expect to much from them. They can be perfect kit for casual riders that serviced will last years.
  • jimothy78
    Thanks for that, were yours the DMR ones or Wellgo copies?
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    they were Wellgo branded.
  • jimothy78
    thanks