Some more buying advice if possible...

ftball22
ftball22 Posts: 11
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I asked a question about a bike a few days ago, and following the advice I decided to change plans and look around a little more.
I looked at the B'twin RR 8.0 (up from starting to look at the RR 5.3) and was impressed as it had the hydaulic brakes which felt much better than the 5.3's. However, they're bringing a new one out in Feb and there are no medium's left, except one. I aslo looked at the Voodoo Bantu at Halfords which, although not as visually impressive, looks very good on paper. Finally, I have seen a Giant Revel 1 Mtb at a hugely discounted rate, (through a friend) and they have told me that it has hydaulic forks (although I'm not sure it has) as well as the hydaulic brakes.

So, finally to the questions:
Can anyone verify whether the giant has a hydraulic fork? Is it a good qaulity bike (taking into account it is half it's original price in near-new condition)?
Any opinions on the RR 8.0 over the Bantu (which I see in the sticky is recommended for £400)?

Sorry if this is too long, but being a teenager this is a fair amount of money to be spending and I have very little knowledge on these things. :D

Comments

• One thing I did notice about the Giant was that it only had 80mm of travel compared to 110 (RR) and 120 (Bantu).
    Is this a problem for mainly trails, and the occasional rougher red routes and rides (ie Peak District)?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nasty undamped, mechanical lock out fork. I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tbh, I had read the spec, looking for the hydaulic fork, and I didn't think it was hydraulic, but the bloke selling it told me it was prior to the research. Not sure, if he just doesn't know or whether it's a modification.
  • cooldad
    Depends on the year - what forks does it have. The 2013 has nasties.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • It's a 2013. I'm starting to think the guys not actually sure about what they are either. He says he's not changed them so you're probably right..
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Voodoo Bantu is a solid choice IMO
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Calibre two.two. hydRaulic forks and brakes for £343 (inc the £4 cost for the Go Outdoors card).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Calibre two.two. hydRaulic forks and brakes for £343 (inc the £4 cost for the Go Outdoors card).
    Hi,
    So is the Rock Shox XC28 with 100mm of travel and Turn Key lockout a hydraulic fork?
  • cooldad
    The hydraulic referred to is the damping, and yes. Bargain basement but damped.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools