Fork Lubricant

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Seeking a decent fork lube for a Fox fork to be applied after washing...Been trying to purchase Fork Juice but no one will ship to Northern Ireland (outside of paying £12 for an £8 can). Are there any other alternatives?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fox Float Fluid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Silicon spray from your local plumbing merchant.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    That narrows it down to three anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • aidso
    How do you apply the Fox Float Fluid? Dab it around the seals/stanchions?
  • cooldad
    I smear a tiny amount around the bottom of the stanchion, pump the forks, wipe and grit or gunk off that it picks up, then apply a little more.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • aidso
    Brilliant. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    cooldad wrote:
    I smear a tiny amount around the bottom of the stanchion, pump the forks, wipe and grit or gunk off that it picks up, then apply a little more.
    And occasionally pop the seals off, clean them, and put 2cc on each foam ring, 10 min job but way more effective than just dabbing some on the stanchions
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Cqc wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    And occasionally pop the seals off, clean them, and put 2cc on each foam ring, 10 min job but way more effective than just dabbing some on the stanchions
    How do you get the seals off? Is it simply a screwdriver in the recess and pop up? Mine seem tight and I don't want to risk scoring the stanchion with the screwdriver (despite taping the end up).
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Cqc wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Assuming your fork has foam rings.
  • aidso
    I didn't want to go down the 'lift seals' route.I much like the idea of lubing on the outside and giving a good pump
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lifting out the seals is kind of a half arsed job. You should be doing a proper lower lube every couple months. After the first couple times it's a half hour job to do properly.
  • Lifting out the seals is kind of a half arsed job. You should be doing a proper lower lube every couple months. After the first couple times it's a half hour job to do properly.
    For me, This is a must do job. every 30 hours of riding. Fork will feel better and you reduce wear to the kashima coating by doing so as you are keeping the fork lubricated properly and clean of dirt. Agree half hour once you got the drop on it. Buy or borrow the fox lower drift though.
    Silicone spray works exactly the same as fork juice just as a cleaner and is especially good if you use with a paper towel and clean around the top of seal.
    Another tip before your next ride is just tip the bike up for half hour before ride, that way the lube oil in the fork will soak the foam rings.