Bike Fit - my experience

2»

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Had the Retul fit done yesterday,i gotta say money well spent for me,bike is now set up perfectly for my body as before it was'nt,i have had to have my shoes packed out and all sorts,I also now have a far smoother pedal stroke using the correct muscles.

Most pleasing to me was the fact that the 54" frame i chose was indeed the better fit over the 51 due to my body geometry.

I took the bike out yesterday after the fit and it already feels a lot better and i can feel the difference in the upper leg muscles as according to how i had the bike set up before i was not being at all efficient.

All in all a good experience.

yes had a very similar retul experience, whereas a friend of mine went to LBS and had a tape measure fit, he's been messing around ever since with seat position, he's now thinking of doing the retul fit
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    edited January 2014

yes had a very similar retul experience, whereas a friend of mine went to LBS and had a tape measure fit, he's been messing around ever since with seat position, he's now thinking of doing the retul fit

I too had a tape measure fit in the shop where i got the bike. (just to give an idea of frame size.)

There is simply no comparison to a full Retul fit,i was blown away by just how indepth it is,The guy who did mine also checked my whole body for any restrictions/tensions in my muscles prior to getting on the bike.

More shocking was just how inefficient my old set up was even though i thought it was fine.

Overall the Retul took around 3 hours.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • +1 on the Retul fit. But they are expensive (got mine free when I bought the bike). I know some bike shops will do a more basic fit for less, and I think even that would be useful, assuming the person doing it knows what they are doing.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • wandsworth wrote:
    assuming the person doing it knows what they are doing.

That there is the problem with Retul and any other fancy named bikefit.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    wandsworth wrote:
    assuming the person doing it knows what they are doing.

That there is the problem with Retul and any other fancy named bikefit.

You might as well say any bikefit - cost is irrelevant to your argument. But I'd say retul is far more structured and repeatable than many other types of fit, as it's basically a computer programme into which the personal and bike data are inputted.
  • Any bikefit including Retul is only as good as the person doing the fitting, it's irrelevant how structured and repeatable the process is.
    The biggest mistake made by many fitters is to treat each customer as an average when we are all physiologically unique. If the fitter does not have the ability or experience to find these idiosyncracies the customer will not receive an optimum fit.
  • As a recently trained/qualified/certified (delete where you feel applicable) bike fitter, I've followed this thread with interest. JoseHernandez- you have hit the nail on the head re treating/recognising each individual, and it's so important a fitter can recognise that. A rider shouldn't be treated as the average when they have forked out £150+. I could meet 5 different riders with varying degrees of cycling experience whos ambitions or goals in cycling are all different. Taking that, and their pre-fit assessment (flexibility and general muscular and skeletal structure) into account helps determine their optimum position.

I don't know if Retul offer it, but a future follow up fit, meeting the client again and discussing how the new set-up is, is another important part of bike fitting. Finding that optimum position can be a long term project for some riders, it isn't always an overnight fix to a niggling problem.
  • bianchimoon
    At my retul fit I think I was treated very much as an individual, my fitness, core strength, riding style, future aspirations re riding etc were all discussed taken into account . Without joining a pro cycling team I wouldn't expect a fit could go into too much more detail. Re the follow up at retul, didn't use it personally as was very happy with end result
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I'd love a bike fit but just don't have the cash (meant to be saving for a wedding... *sigh*).

Have done a lot of reading online about what measurements I could do at home but would be interested to hear other peoples' opinions - anyone got any recommendations for how to do a self-fit?
  • bianchimoon
    vertigo16 wrote:
    I'd love a bike fit but just don't have the cash (meant to be saving for a wedding... *sigh*).

Have done a lot of reading online about what measurements I could do at home but would be interested to hear other peoples' opinions - anyone got any recommendations for how to do a self-fit?
    Unfortunately a self fit involves a lot of guess work, you will no doubt get a little closer to something suitable but the fine tuning a professional fit gives would be impossible. That said a bike fit is probably only something you should do if you have the disposable income or are competing regularly in races/triathlons etc. Keep your future wife/husband sweet, sort your priorities out, plenty of time later when funds are available to spend £100+ on a bikefit
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Nicked from the thread about Midlands bike fitters...

http://www.cyclosport.org/11-Jun-2013/n ... tting.html
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    vertigo16 wrote:
    I'd love a bike fit but just don't have the cash (meant to be saving for a wedding... *sigh*).

Unfortunately a self fit involves a lot of guess work, you will no doubt get a little closer to something suitable but the fine tuning a professional fit gives would be impossible. That said a bike fit is probably only something you should do if you have the disposable income or are competing regularly in races/triathlons etc. Keep your future wife/husband sweet, sort your priorities out, plenty of time later when funds are available to spend £100+ on a bikefit

The thing is, a lot of people who have had a bike fit done, say it's the best upgrade they've ever spent money on. It's certainly not something which is reserved for those with more money than sense or people who compete. A casual cyclist would get just as much benefit as anybody else.
  • bianchimoon
    DKay wrote:
    vertigo16 wrote:

The thing is, a lot of people who have had a bike fit done, say it's the best upgrade they've ever spent money on. It's certainly not something which is reserved for those with more money than sense or people who compete. A casual cyclist would get just as much benefit as anybody else.
    I think you need to re read my post again as you are are arguing against points that haven't been made. Either that or you are saying don't worry about spending money you don't have, go ahead and upset your fiancé by spending money on a bike fit rather than saving for his/her wedding :roll:
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    My experience (of more than one bike fitter): don't reply to emails, don't get back to you when they say they will, don't seem to be interested in making money out of you. Which I find odd, because even if I was a multi-millionaire as opposed to someone running a business with overheads, a mortgage, a family etc, if I had someone willing to pay me £120 for three hours work, I'd make bloody sure that that money was in my bank account quicker than I could say "your saddle is 3cm too high mate"
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Also - would like to see some sound scientific evidence that bike fits 'prevent injury'. In fact an explanation of that statement would be good - I mean are we talking about all injuries here? Obviously, if a bike is so badly fitting that it puts you in a position you can't adapt to, then of course, you are more likely to become injured. In the same way that if you stab yourself in the face you're more likely to become stabbed in the face. It's a logical fallacy.

Besides, injuries don't just happen for one reason, so how can anyone honestly say that someone who's had a bike fit won't get injured while cycling?

If anyone has links to long term randomized and controlled trials with plenty of participants I'm interested...
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I think you need to re read my post again as you are are arguing against points that haven't been made. Either that or you are saying don't worry about spending money you don't have, go ahead and upset your fiancé by spending money on a bike fit rather than saving for his/her wedding :roll:

Fair dos. But you did say that "a bike fit is probably only something you should do if you have the disposable income or are competing regularly in races/triathlons etc". I was valid in my point that you don't need to be competing to make the expense of a bike fit worthwhile.

Peace out bro. :)
  • bianchimoon
    DKay wrote:

Fair dos. But you did say that "a bike fit is probably only something you should do if you have the disposable income or are competing regularly in races/triathlons etc". I was valid in my point that you don't need to be competing to make the expense of a bike fit worthwhile.

Peace out bro. :)
    :) yay mate, do think bike fits are an important part of the overall equation but not worth wrecking a marriage before it starts :wink:
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Most of my riding is commuting - 20miles per day - but since my bike fit two weeks ago I feel like a different rider. The adjustments made were very minor focussing around the cleat position and a couple of heel inserts with very minor saddle height adjustment and stem length adjustment.

The nagging after ride knee pain I'd developed has gone and the bike just feels lighter. It wasn't cheap but at this early stage I'd say it was worth every penny.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Reading this thread with interest, seeing as I kicked it off!

With regard to comments about the 'fit' being for a 'racer' - it was fitted to me and the types of riding I do, my level of ability (low) and my physiology and flexibility (also low). Nothing too radical. Feels more comfy, fewer aches and as a side benefit I go faster - but more importantly if feels better, more "right".

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    SecretSam wrote:
    Reading this thread with interest, seeing as I kicked it off!

With regard to comments about the 'fit' being for a 'racer' - it was fitted to me and the types of riding I do, my level of ability (low) and my physiology and flexibility (also low). Nothing too radical. Feels more comfy, fewer aches and as a side benefit I go faster - but more importantly if feels better, more "right".

Whether you pay for someone else or do it yourself the main thing is it feels right and leaves you injury free even after longer rides. I did it myself to learn about bike setup and customise the bike to my needs. I went from knee, ankle, back and saddle pain to a bike after adjustments and a new saddle that I ride for hours with no problems or just a quick sprint over 10 miles if that is what I feel like doing. Never had any pain in two decades of mountain biking but road bikes can easily be instruments of torture if not setup accurately.
  • Unfortunately a self fit involves a lot of guess work, you will no doubt get a little closer to something suitable but the fine tuning a professional fit gives would be impossible. That said a bike fit is probably only something you should do if you have the disposable income or are competing regularly in races/triathlons etc. Keep your future wife/husband sweet, sort your priorities out, plenty of time later when funds are available to spend £100+ on a bikefit

Thanks, I appreciate that, but even if it involves a lot of guesswork (and I realise it won't be as good as a proper fit), I was really asking what particular measurements are the key ones. If that isn't a fair question - may well not be if they're all as important as each other - then I guess the answer is you need to have someone else do it for you, but I live in hope that i could fit myself better without going to see a pro.

(And there was no question of ruining the marriage by frittering away money on fittings - this could probably be justified as saving me from having to buy a new bike! Women love thrift...)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    vertigo16,
    the main measurement to get right is pedal to saddle height. everthing else follows on from that.

so then you need saddle fore/aft, reach to bars, height of bars.

then it's foot placement on pedals, fore/aft, angle, shims if needed.(this may then need saddle height to be adjusted)

placement of levers, angle of bars, reach to shifters/brakes, type of bars, standard, ergo, compact (which may involve adjusting levers etc).
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • bianchimoon
    vertigo16 wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate that, but even if it involves a lot of guesswork (and I realise it won't be as good as a proper fit), I was really asking what particular measurements are the key ones. If that isn't a fair question - may well not be if they're all as important as each other - then I guess the answer is you need to have someone else do it for you, but I live in hope that i could fit myself better without going to see a pro.

(And there was no question of ruining the marriage by frittering away money on fittings - this could probably be justified as saving me from having to buy a new bike! Women love thrift...)

spend an hour watching this, might seem a little heavy but a lot of valuable information
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxNznrlRXGU
  • Thanks both, really good link and useful information.