Can I use a floor pump instead of a shock pump?

shigllgetcha
shigllgetcha Posts: 145
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys. Ill need to pump up a front fork, can I just buy a floor pump and use it?

Could anyone suggest a budget floor pump that would/could work for this? maybe from CRC?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Buy 2. Even if it does do the required PSI - it doesn't work - I've tried just to be sure.
  • Most won't fit as the valves tend to be recessed, you can get floor pumps with adapters, but they tend to be expensive because they need to go up to much higher pressures. I have an Air race that does this, but its not cheap.

It's well worth having a small shock pump anyway so you can carry it on trails (or at least in the car) incase it's required (I know it's not often, but it really ruins your day when it is needed)
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, a floor pump is low pressure, high volume. A shock pump is the opposite.
    You have a tiny amount of air in the shock/forks, so you'd never be able to adjust it accurately.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Great thanks guys ill pick up a shock pump
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    You can yes but no, get a proper shock pump - floor pumps don't have the fine control a shock pump does, they also tend not to have zero loss chucks, they might not be able to deliver the required pressure, the valve probably wont fit, etc

Airace make an all in one floor pump but its not cheap at £60+