Problem shifting to easiest sprocket

bobtbuilder
bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I’m having a problem with my winter bike. It is becoming very difficult to shift from the 2nd easiest gear to the easiest. When I make that change in gear it is registering with the front shifter (as the shifter then becomes rigid as no further gear available) but the chain won’t come far enough across to move onto the largest rear sprocket & starts to make the tick, tick, tick sound of a partial shift. If I leave it like that it will eventually move onto the biggest sprocket but this can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2-3 minutes!

I have tried adjusting the rear barrel adjustor, but while this has affected the rest of the shifting it has made no difference at all to the problematic shift to the easiest gear.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Usually this kind of thing happens as cables stretch and the outers etc bed in. However this normally means that the effect is the same in all gears, and a small adjustment of the barrel adjuster is all that's required to restore accurate shifting. In your case you might also need to adjust your lower limit screw to allow the derailleur to move further across. Be very careful though; you don't want it going into the spokes :shock:

Have a look on Park Tools website, or search on YouTube for more comprehensive guidance
  • bobtbuilder
    Cheers Keef66,

I am "mechanically challenged" so I thought I'd enquire here before fiddling with anything else. :oops:
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I'd say keef has got it spot on re: the low limit screw. I suffer this problem when I set up a new rear mech (or fit a different rear wheel/cassette). I'm paranoid about the chain going into the spokes, so set the limit to tight at first. Try loosening it very small amounts until it gets easier.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    This is best video I've found for rear mechs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks folks :D