New bike, unsure what to get.

Khay
Khay Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Thanks for reading this and for any advice offered.

I need to buy a new bike soon and I have a bit of a dilema . I don't really know much about detailed specs of kit so when I am trying to decide which bike gives better value for the £££ I get lost. I spend the majority of my time on fair tarmac surfaces but often like to do mild off road paths such as bridal ways ( although in future I would like to try some more adventurous off road) and my main motivation for biking at the moment is fitness and fun. I do in the region of 70+ miles per week.

I have been led down the hybrid route as this seems the best option for me and my current requirements ( I couldn't find a hybrid section to post in) and have managed to narrow my search down to a few bikes I like the look of. If anyone could give me any help and advice with my final decision I would be very grateful.

Here is a link to the 8 bikes I have narrowed it down to: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes/f/ridgeback/unisex#!Number%20of%20Gears=18,27,24,20;Brake%20Type=Hydraulic%20Disc;Brand=Trek,Cannondale,Lapierre,Scott,Specialized,HOY;Wheel%20Size=700c%20Wheel!price_from=550;price_to=651;on_sale=;sort=asc;

I can't decide if a rigid forks will suit my off road needs or not, and i like the versatility of having a lock out front if you need it. That aside I just really want to get the best bike for my budget of £550 - £600 .

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get a proper mountain bike. As soon as you get off road properly you will see how boring riding on the road is, and want to do more.
    Within a short time you will be wearing baggies and considering backflips off giant mountains.

Or not, boring Monday at work here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools