Overshoes help

woo1
woo1 Posts: 51
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I’m after some overshoes for the first time, any recommendations would be appreciated, I’ve got my eye on the Castelli range (under £40), so any reviews on these would be appreciated too: Castelli Narcisista Shoecover , Castelli Nano Waterproof Overshoes, or Castelli Diluvio 16 Overshoes.

Many Thanks

Comments

• farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    I suspect you are about to be deluged (no pun intended) in disparate recommendations.

Personally I find these very good http://www.endurasport.com/product-detail.asp?ProductID=207

Have lasted me a year with little damage - in my case glad of the large sizes (I take a 49 shoe) and the little things like a tab to stop the zip coming loose when riding. Soles (not that I spend any time walking in them - apart from door to bike) seem hard wearing.

Cost wise should be circa £25

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I went with DHB from Wiggle, but that is mainly because I have dhb shoes, and knew they would fit well.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I have the Gore Wind stopper ones and have had no issues with cold feet at all.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Prendas overshoes are IMO all you will ever need - and this is coming from a man who spends the GDP of a small African nation on Rapha each year. I’m on my third winter with a pair of Windtex for non rainy but bitterly cold days and a pair of Aquatex for when it’s teaming it down. Both are minimal logo and the latter looks well cool with their little Italian flags – because they’re made in Italy ;-)

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 17&ID=2192
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 17&ID=1774

£30 inc postage – it’s a no brainer!
  • I get terrible cold feet (not any more, I'll come to that) and the overshoes the Wiggle online chat guy recommended were these.

With my normal shoes, I still got freezing feet, but Santa just brought me these winter boots.

Toasty feet now :D

The point is, the cold gets in through the sole with my shoes, so overshoes, albeit better than nothing, don't help all that much on their own.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'd go one further and say you don't need to spend any more than £20 on overshoes. What ever the brand they will all wear from walking on them, whatn you need is something water proof and warm.

BBB heavy duty overshoes are 18.95 on chain reaction and a number of other places. I've had a pair for last couple of years and still going strong. No need to spend castelli / Rapha money on what is a disposable item.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-heavy-duty-oss-overshoes-bws02b/rp-prod45049?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gclid=CIeAt_jD-7sCFe4A4goddRgASw&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Velke
    Velke Posts: 61
    Plant X overshoes £11.99 excellent quality and value!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite - Ultegra Di2
    Canyon Inflite 9.0 - Ultegra
  • Velke wrote:
    Plant X overshoes £11.99 excellent quality and value!

Are those the ones that look like clown boots?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Prendas overshoes are IMO all you will ever need - and this is coming from a man who spends the GDP of a small African nation on Rapha each year. I’m on my third winter with a pair of Windtex for non rainy but bitterly cold days and a pair of Aquatex for when it’s teaming it down. Both are minimal logo and the latter looks well cool with their little Italian flags – because they’re made in Italy ;-)

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 17&ID=2192
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 17&ID=1774

£30 inc postage – it’s a no brainer!

+1
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    farrina wrote:
    I suspect you are about to be deluged (no pun intended) in disparate recommendations.

Personally I find these very good http://www.endurasport.com/product-detail.asp?ProductID=207

Have lasted me a year with little damage - in my case glad of the large sizes (I take a 49 shoe) and the little things like a tab to stop the zip coming loose when riding. Soles (not that I spend any time walking in them - apart from door to bike) seem hard wearing.

Cost wise should be circa £25

Alan

These.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I have the Gore Wind stopper ones and have had no issues with cold feet at all.

+1 for the Gore Wind Stopper's.

Try http://www.tgstore.eu/
    Add - LOYALCUST2012 for discount 10%, if I recall correctly. Applies for all the range , Cycling and Running.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    woo1 wrote:
    I’m after some overshoes for the first time, any recommendations would be appreciated, I’ve got my eye on the Castelli range (under £40), so any reviews on these would be appreciated too: Castelli Narcisista Shoecover , Castelli Nano Waterproof Overshoes, or Castelli Diluvio 16 Overshoes.

Many Thanks

plenty of good advice above

if you want castelli, and i am an enormous consumer of all things scorpion, without a doubt get the diluvio 16

the nano are really flimsy, the narcisista are much better, but they're windproof, not waterproof, the diluvio are just great, wet and/or cold, they're the ones i go for, huge scorpion logo is another plus

my only criticism is that the toe has no reinforcement, so on the foot that you put down when stopped it can get worn - i coat the touchdown area with black witch wetsuit repair glop to avoid this

mine had a lot of use last winter, and lots more in the current wet spell, best overshoes i ever had

the sizing is tight, my shoes are 46 and not bulky, the xxl diluvio is snug on these
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Forget the Planet X ones.

Prendas or endura's far better designed and overvall quality
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Another shout for the Endura overshoes I've used them for years and I can't fault them, I've tried others and they don't come close.
    A pair will last me roughly three years before the salt gets to them but they're used thoughout the winter whatever the weather.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm happy with my PX ones. Lasted me better than the endura ones I had - they really cut up.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The PX ones are excellent value. I'm not convinced they are as waterproof as some (the Velcro fastening doesn't make for the snuggest of fits for a start) and they aren't super warm (but if you don't have cold feet problems then that won't bother you) but they are very quick to put on and they do last (especialliy if you reinforce the toe area) - they are great for cold but not very cold days.

But they aren't a substitute eg for the BBB option.

As for Endura - I tried some MT500s once and they fell apart in no time. Zip and soles. Maybe they have improved them but I wasn't impressed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    "without a doubt get the diluvio 16"
    Just got a pair of these and gave them a try out last week;not tested in the rain yet but they kept my feet nice and warm.Bit of a tight fit but better that than flopping about(ooer,,);they do catch a bit on the shoe fastening velcro but I have cheapo shoes so would probably be better with higher spec shoes.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Iv been using the Planet X ones this winter and havent had any issues at all.

Keep my feet really warm and altho i havent been out in torrential rain when it has been a littlw wet my feet have been dry.

All i would say is that they dont look as nice as some of the more expensive offerings but for £11 you cant have everything and i would only ride with them if its really cold and/or wet
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • I've been using the PlanetX ones for a few weeks now and get the odd bit of heal rub as they're a little bulky. The best bit is though how quick they are to put on. Great for short commutes where you might not be bothered to pull on zippered ones like Endura (which I did like).

Convinced I need a selection of overshoes for different conditions.....
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've got some neopren ones from Decathlon which are excellent in the wet, but not as warm as the Planet X clown boots. Not so good in the wet, but keep your toes toasty.