Cold weather bibs, cold arris

eddiefiola
eddiefiola Posts: 344
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Went out today and the average temp was 4 deg C, didn't seem that cold but I had severe arse, love handle and lower back freeze after an hour.

Wearing a base layer, Pearl Roubaix type bibs (Elite series) and a Mavic Echappee jacket.

Anyone else get cold in those areas? Suggestions? Warmer bibs like DHB Zero?

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I get the cold back issue despite a base layer, winter jersey and jacket, be interested in the replies.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    DHB Zero's are excellent if you get a cold lower body. I don't normally rate DHB stuff but couldn't see the point spending a fortune on cold weather bibs when they don't get worn all that often, but they are perfect for conditions like this. Highly recommended.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Can't say I ever noticed a cold back/rear (winter bike has 'guards so no spray). But my kit is maybe a bit more extreme! I wear a base layer, padded bib-knickers, unpadded Assos roubaix bib-tights with windstopper front, a ss jersey AND an Assos fleece lined winter jacket. Seems to work for me lol. Well at least for a couple of hours pootling. Anything more an I can get cold hips.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm another in the wear you bib shorts all Year round and get a pair of unpadded winter right to wear over when its cold. That way you have an extra layer around your nether regions. I also wear base layer, ss shirt, plus a foska winter jacket when it's cold. With everything inter tucked in, I.e base layer is under the bibs etc.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A good base layer with long sleeves is important in the cold. I wear an endura baabaa long sleeve with a night vision evo jacket in the cold. Warm, windproof and waterproof on long rides. Along with thermal tights, just build up with more layers if you need them.
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    I've got a pair of Endura thermolite bib longs and consider them one of the best bits of kit I have. Warm, comfortable and good fit. The pad is much better than the ones I have on my various bib shorts.
    All the gear and no idea...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    When the temperature plummets, I wear Assos LL.716.6 bib longs with pad. They are pretty impressive with all sorts of techy panels in their make up however, I too suffer on the coldest days from a cold back side. My solution is to rub a very small quantity of Rapha embrocation (I presume it is the same as Deep Heat which I haven't tried) on my bum cheeks and just above the knees. Too much and I cook! This really makes a huge difference for me.

One other recent addition are Woolie Boolie socks which are remarkably good at keeping my feet warm. They are a bit bulky but my shoes have plenty of adjustment in them and I am very impressed. Cold feet, cold body my mother used to say and I think there is something in that!

Peter