Black ice, broken collar bone

Tigger con carne
Tigger con carne Posts: 181
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
About 100m from my front door on a sharp right into another junction. The wet road wasn't wet, just icy. The bike washed out completely and I landed hard on my right shoulder after which I couldn't lift my right arm. Retreated home, managed to get changed and get a taxi to A&E, ironically at the same hospital I was setting off go to work at when I had the spill. A short wait, slipping into a very fetching gown, and one x-ray later the injury is revealed as a fractured clavicle. No riding, work or driving for a good six weeks :evil:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bad news, hope you recover quickly....

Icy though, where are you, the Orkney's?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I had a very similar experience 3 years ago. I hope you enjoy a speedy recovery
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Cheers. It's Wakefield and it looked damp on the ground when I check out of my bedroom window when deciding what to wear. Gotta love the local council and their wobbly road gritting policy
  • I have one of these now

http://sixsixone.com/bike/first-layer-b ... r-ss-shirt

any doubts, i wear it. also worn on the mtb

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Icy this morning too - right down south ...

It was that bad that after the 3rd small slip of the back wheel about a mile up the main road I decided to bailout - rode home carefully and got the car instead...
    A bit annoying as I had wanted to get into work early and I had studded tyres on another wheelset I could've or rather should've put on this morning - but by the time I got home it time would be too tight to do the swap then.

Anyway - I made the right choice - because on my drive in there was an accident - just before where I turned round on the bike - a car with its boot crushed ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Icey today, yes, the whole country is about 4C colder!

Wakefield is 'up north tha'......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alex_uk
    alex_uk Posts: 56
    Slipped off on ice in Hampshire this morning!

Annoyingly I put a foot down when the wheels went, glided for about 5 metres down to probably 1 MPH perfectly upright ... yet got excited about staying vertical or something and just let my feet slip out at the last minute!

Basically just fell over backwards whilst pretty much standing up and stationery. School boy error!
  • Update on this. Fracture clinic on Thursday decided the bone needed a plate so I just got home from hospital after an overnight stay following the plate insertion yesterday afternoon. On the plus side, have got lots of drugs
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Join the plate club. I can't really understand why they do it so quickly once they've decided it needs doing. Mine was about three days before I was in. Surely it can't be the greatest priority the NHS has to deal with?

You will need all those painkillers. And make sure you do your physio if you want to get back full range of movement. Mine happened to be a cyclist which was cool and he later did me a bike fit. Six months on mine is fine and I'm cycling as before. Although it does often feel ... As though someone screwed my bones together with a metal plate...
  • Great to see your on the road to recovery already! The point about physio rings true for me too, I was in a sling for 2-3 weeks too long, and ended up with frozen shoulder on top of collar bone pain. The result of that was a lot of physio to gain rotatation in the shoulder before I was properly comfortable.

My consultant opted not to plate mine, stating a number of risks - with hindsight I wished I'd pushed for it, as the recovery time with a plate seems to be much better than without.

The drugs were great, and reduced the pain significantly (Codydramol and Diclofenac) but one side affect was an inpleasant bout of what the Germans call verstopfung ... syrup of fig sorted that out!

- Jon
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aah yes, I had that... Not a pleasant experience and one that I've never had before or since. I think the codeine is the culprit