Fox 36 Talas to Float conversion

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,
Been looking at changing the forks on my Covert as the 36 Talas R, whilst stiff are fairly heavy. They also don't feel particularly plush but i suspect this is probably down to needing a service. So i had looked at changing forks to a set of the New pikes, a second hand set of Deviles or similar. However i can't currently justify the cost (this close to wifes Birthday and following on from Christmas) so i am considering having them serviced at Mojo and having a Float conversion done at the same time. I much prefer an air shock.

Is this something you guys would recommend as an upgrade, or will they always be a fairly basic shock? are there any other upgrades i could look at Mojo doing whilst it is in for its service?

In terms of riding style, its a real mixed bag so hard to define really, i only have one MTb so like something more burly to handle everything.

If i have missed any info please let me know

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    By the time you service and convert the to flaot from talas you will be best part of 300notes down, and they will still be shoot as its not so much the talas/float difference that is the big leap(though on weight it is a bit). it's the damper you have an R where you the Fit damper to get the performance up. R damped forks tend to be utter tosh i've a ridden a few. and both talas and float are air.

So to get what you want lighter and actually good performance you end up swapping the damper and air chamber... then the price really isnt actually far off the pike, so buy the pike sell the talas IMO
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    To be honest, I kind of knew that. Think i am just in denial, i will have a look at other fork options. Thanks for the post as its confirmed what i had suspected.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It will be cheaper to sell your forks as they are and buy new ones.