sticker Removal

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited January 2014 in Road general
What's the best way of removing a sticker from a carbon frame as my new bike has a bright orange warning label on the top tube,I have tried the old fashion way of digging at it with a finger nail which has failed.

I don't want to go at it with a blade as I don't want to scratch the frame.

I'm not sure whether I can use a solvent in the frame or not.
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Pull it off then use Nail Varnish remover om a cloth to get rid of the sticky stuff.
  • Use a hair dryer to soften the glue. That will make it easier to pull off. Then nail varnish remover for glue residue.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Start off with a Dremel, then get rid of the stubborn bits with a rasp file, then you should be able to get a bit of finish back with some wet and dry, finally, give it a coat of hammerite.
  • Use a hair dryer to soften the glue. That will make it easier to pull off. Then nail varnish remover for glue residue.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't carbon fibre glued together? :shock:

Maybe hair dryer + washing up liquid??
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Carbon fibres are contained in a resin but that's plenty hard enough to resist nail varnish remover (acetone). Think of it being the difference between UHU paper glue and the sort of epoxy resins that you mix as you need them.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I used my fingers to remove all stickers from my S-Works and then used surgical spirit and a clothe to remove any sticky residue.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Thanks guys,will have a go tomorrow once it's safe to get my hands on her hair dryer :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Bozman wrote:
    Start off with a Dremel, then get rid of the stubborn bits with a rasp file, then you should be able to get a bit of finish back with some wet and dry, finally, give it a coat of hammerite.

What grade wet & dry?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Use a lighter. I am serious, I have been using this for stickers on record covers and books for years.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    DO NOT USE NAIL VARNISH REMOVER.......it will at best dull the paint finish, nail varnish remover is vicious stuff.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Use some Autoglym Tar remover. Works a treat on cars for bugs and tar specks, but if you put it onto some bog roll and pat that on the sticker and wait a couple of minutes it will come off, I think I've used it more often of stubborn stickers than I have on the car. Failing that use a hammer.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Rokt wrote:
    DO NOT USE NAIL VARNISH REMOVER.......it will at best dull the paint finish, nail varnish remover is vicious stuff.

I've used it on several bikes and it's never affected them in the slightest.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    use IPA Isopropyl Alcohol or a bit of WD40 or TF2 spray, failing that just keep at it with soapy water.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Why do the manufacturers cover their bikes with these stoopid stickers and make them so flipping difficult to get off?
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Pull the sticker off, then white spirit.
    Works a treat.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anyone else stupid enough to actually put the Ride London bike number on their bike?
    It was almost made of fabric rather than paper and it left a really sticky patch behind.

I have still not tried to get it off and was planning to use acetone that I got for prepping carbon tubulars.
    I might do it tonight and report back how it goes.
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    I'm a sign writer and remove sticky residue every and has Rokt say's, don't us nail varnish remover or even any form
    of acetone. We use a little petrol on a soft cloth and nothing else.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I used a hairdryer then some absolut vodka to remove the sizing sticker of my raw alu 'dale ...

The type of vodka wouldn't make any difference but my new bike deserved to be treated well (plus was what we had in cupboard) :wink: