Using a strap wrench advice

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I'm trying to service my KS Lev seatpost and am stuck on one bit shown in the KS service video @ 2.22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYjhtPFZ4I

When I try to remove the cartridge the strap wrench just seems to slip and the shaft just spins I turn it with the spanner.

I'm not sure where the problem is but as this is the first time I've used a strap wrench I'm guessing it's my technique? any tips or suggests welcome. Either on the strap wrench technique or on removing the cartridge.

Many thanks, Jai

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You are not locking the shaft with the strap by putting enough pressure on it.

See how he twisted the strap handle before undoing the nut?

Then there is the use of a strap wrench there is a correct and incorrect way to use one depending on where the forces are going.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Ok will give that a go. Also looking back on the video, the mechanic is using the wrench with the teeth facing the direction of movement. I think I think I was using it the other way round. I guess this would have an effect on the torque the strap wrench can produce? I'll giving it another go tonight.

thank you.