Frame Size help !

aw1808
aw1808 Posts: 91
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Hello ,

I am in between frame sizes and can ride a 52 or a 54 . Is there any benefit for going for the smaller frame ?

The only down side I can see if a few more spacers on the smaller frame.
I may be slow going up but i will pass you going down !

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It's generally a lot easier to make a small frame bigger as you can fit a longer stem, layback seatpost etc, trying to make a big frame smaller is a lot harder :wink:

I'd go for the 52 personally.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^ This defo.
  • I'm in the same boat and went for the larger on the advice of a LBS. It's ok but i wish i got the smaller one.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Generally the advice is to go smaller as you can make it fit more easily. I am over 6ft6 and ride a 62cm Trek. The 64cm is for me too big a bike but others my height are pleased to get a 64cm bike.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Have you considered looking for a bike thats 53cm??? If you want a bike for more than looks and a more suitable bike by another brand can by found, go for that.
  • smoggysteve
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-mark-cavendishs-specialized-s-works-venge-39539/

Just in case you are worried that going smaller will be too small
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    It all depends on your body geometry,I too had the same problem,I opted for the bigger frame,I even put a post on here similar to yours,had I gone for the smaller frame I would of had to have between 30-40 mm of spacers under my stem,not to mention a stem length of 140mm due to my upper body and reach measurements.

I am off for a Retul bike fit on Tuesday to get my bike dialled in perfectly.

Try both and see how you feel as everybody is different so what suits one may not always suit another.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

Apparently he's 5'9" :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • smoggysteve
    Im 5'6" and ride a 53cm - 49cm and he's going to look like a bear on a unicycle.
  • I think it also depends on your riding style.
    When out of the saddle I like to really get over the front. I went for a smaller size my knees would be hitting the bars.
    No substitute for riding the bike.
    Visit your LBS and take it for a spin
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Just to add my two-penn'orth, not all frames share the same geometry. I keep reading things like to OP - but take for instance Ribbles, their 52cm frame has a 52cm seat tube... and a 54cm top tube. What you need is a frame that fits YOU, and virtually every manufacturer has a slightly different geometry. Doesn't make it any easier!
  • smoggysteve
    rafletcher wrote:
    Just to add my two-penn'orth, not all frames share the same geometry. I keep reading things like to OP - but take for instance Ribbles, their 52cm frame has a 52cm seat tube... and a 54cm top tube. What you need is a frame that fits YOU, and virtually every manufacturer has a slightly different geometry. Doesn't make it any easier!

Yup, thats why I try to encourage new riders to try a bike in a shop, instead of throwing money at the computer screen.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'll be getting a "basic"bike sizing (I've been riding 30 years, but my first frame was a 60cm / 23 1/2", and now, well maybe 56-56cm depending on geometry), and I'll be taking along printouts of the frame geometry of a couple of bikes I'm interested in and will ask them to suggest the most appropriate - for the type of riding I want to do - day rides, sportives up to 100-125 miles. No racing, TT'ing etc. - which again would demand a different set-up.
  • aw1808
    aw1808 Posts: 91
    thank you for the feedback , the issue I have had is that I feel a bit stretched out on the 54 but its a better fitting bike according to the bike fit and the 52 I was riding was a little cramped and also I was hitting my knees n the handle bars at times when out of the saddle.

Bit the bullet and went with the 54 in the end as it is only 1 cm longer in the top tube and is a better fit just feels different .
    I may be slow going up but i will pass you going down !
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You could always go 1 cm shorter in the stem. You don't notice much difference in how the bike handles with stems between 90 and 120 cm. Effective or virtual TT length is the most important measurement on a frame followed by head tube. Most modern frames ride with a lot of seat post out so plenty of adjustment there.