Forks for Specialized Hardrock Disc 2011

Sierramike237
Sierramike237 Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I've got a Specialized Hardrock Disc 2011 and I'm thinking of changing the forks since the stock Suntour forks are not enough for most of the trails that I'm riding. I'm 6.6 and I weigh 185lbs and I'm not doing any jumps or anything like that, I'm just riding some rocky trails from time to time so I was thinking of going from 80mm to 100mm forks.

My question is, will this be enough or should I go for 120mm?
Also since I have no idea which forks will fit my bike can anyone please recommend a specific fork that will fit? I don't want to spend more than 200£.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Look at Merlin cyclyes and rockshox,

Also on one.co.uk and again rockshox.

Pretty good deals there. I think you want a straight 1 1/8th steerer, so NOT tapered
  • I had a similar problem but with the 2010 model, I went for a Rockshox Recon Silver air fork, 100mm. Massive difference to the Suntour. Paid about £130 I think.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the same bike (2009 model)
    I fitted a 100mm Rockshox Tora/XC32 and it was a huge improvement. I wouldn't go any longer than 100mm on that frame.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Rockshox Recon with 100mm travel, and Merlin are a good place to start looking. It will transform your bike into what it always should have been!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    check the classifieds on here and pinkbike to see if you can find a decent second hand one.

I've got one for sale but would probably not have a long enough steerer tube for a bigger bike
  • Thank you all for your replies.

I ordered the Rockshox Recon Gold from Merlin cycles -http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-recon-gold-tk-forks-26-2014-66021.html and I hope that I made the right decision.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Thank you all for your replies.

I ordered the Rockshox Recon Gold from Merlin cycles -http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-recon-gold-tk-forks-26-2014-66021.html and I hope that I made the right decision.

Yes you did, as long as you chose the colour that goes best with the rest of your bike. When you swap them over, do take a moment to hold the old fork in one hand and the new fork in the other. The difference in weight is amazing, and you'll stop wondering if you made the right decision! Also, the box that the new fork comes in will be handy for the old fork if you sell it - I got £55 for mine on eBay.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • marcg868
    marcg868 Posts: 116
    I have the Recon gold fork from Merlin. It's a coil fork but it's a bloody good one. It's so smooth and controlled and even better than the Tora I have also tried.
    Cannondalenewforks_zpsa9443860.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Brand new Epicons from a UK seller on Ebay for £135 currently too - bargain.