first impressions from the 1x10 conversion

2»

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have also tried the 9/10 thing and I almost got it working but as the OP found there is always 1 or 2 gears it wont hit properly. It was an emergency so in the end I just set it so that gears 1 to 6 worked fine (with a bit of clicking on 7 to 9) and it got the bike working for the last ride of the holiday. Its a bodge that will get you pedalling but thats all.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    As far as I know the only mixmatch of parts that really works now is 9-speed SRAM shifter, 9-speed cassette, and 10-speed Shimano mech. Because Shimano changed their actuation ratio to be more like SRAM's, the ratios are very closely matched as standard- it kind of works unmodified. But all it takes is a wee spacer to lengthen the arm of the mech and it works absolutely like stock. Nice way to get one of the big benefits of 10-speed, the clutch mech, onto an older setup or to split the cost of upgrading
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    As far as I know the only mixmatch of parts that really works now is 9-speed SRAM shifter, 9-speed cassette, and 10-speed Shimano mech. Because Shimano changed their actuation ratio to be more like SRAM's, the ratios are very closely matched as standard- it kind of works unmodified. But all it takes is a wee spacer to lengthen the arm of the mech and it works absolutely like stock. Nice way to get one of the big benefits of 10-speed, the clutch mech, onto an older setup or to split the cost of upgrading

I will try to find some time and fit the 9 spd mech back on and see if I can find the sweet spot of the pair, I tried and got close enough with some spacers and washers, but gave up as I had more important stuff to do, and working with a colander like finger tip isn't pleasant :x
  • Northwind
    I think I've got all the bits to try it as well... Basically relies on hitting a sweet spot of being too lazy to do anything worthwhile, but not so lazy that I won't spend half an hour in the garage fannying about ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Northwind wrote:
    As far as I know the only mixmatch of parts that really works now is 9-speed SRAM shifter, 9-speed cassette, and 10-speed Shimano mech.

I believe you can also use a Shimano 9 speed MTB rear mech with a Shimano 10 speed road shifter and 10 speed cassette, as the road shifter uses the same pull ratio as the mtb mech.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    MTB forum
  • jimothy78
    MTB forum
    Yes, I'm talking about on an MTB. Obviously, you need the flat-bar type of road shifter, but it would/should make your existing 9sp mech work with a 10speed setup, which was the point of the thread, wasn't it?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope. No one knows what the initial point of the tread was.
  • jimothy78
    :lol:
  • Northwind
    jimothy78 wrote:
    I believe you can also use a Shimano 9 speed MTB rear mech with a Shimano 10 speed road shifter and 10 speed cassette, as the road shifter uses the same pull ratio as the mtb mech.

True dat, but probably doesn't make a lot of sense for mtb since you'll probably have to buy a hybrid shifter to make it go- might as well just buy a 10-speed mtb shifter. Works well on road or cross bikes if you want a wide cassette though!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jimothy78
    Northwind wrote:
    jimothy78 wrote:

True dat, but probably doesn't make a lot of sense for mtb since you'll probably have to buy a hybrid shifter to make it go- might as well just buy a 10-speed mtb shifter....

But then you have to buy a new mech as well, which doubles the price.
  • Northwind
    Mmm. But then you're painting yourself into a corner by buying a shifter that you'll not be able to use when you change the mech, so you have to buy 2 shifters in the long run.

Basically serves you right for having used 9-speed Shimano. I'm a big fan of 10-speed Shimano now that they've ripped off everything that SRAM did better ;)
    Uncompromising extremist