Replacing shimano Deore with 105 on a hybrid

alex_uk
alex_uk Posts: 56
edited January 2014 in Workshop
My drivetrain is well and truely in need of replacement, and I was wondering about putting some 105 on. Any reason why this wouldn't be compatible? It's a hybrid, so the handlebars are straight and the shifters are therefore the mountain-bike style ones.

Comments

• iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Should all work, I know you can get Tiagra flat bar shifters so I think 105 would possibly be the same.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    How much are you thinking of replacing? Shifters, mechs or just cassette and chain?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • alex_uk
    Cassette, chain, + middle and outer chain rings (it's a triple on the front, 9 speed on the back).
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you are fine to change the components in your list to 105.

if you change the mechs in future, a 105 rear mech will swap in no problem but the front mech needs to match your shifters. Road STI (like 105) has a different cable pull to flat-bar and MTB shifters in this respect, so you need the right front mech.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    alex_uk wrote:
    Cassette, chain, + middle and outer chain rings (it's a triple on the front, 9 speed on the back).

What chainset do you currently have? If it is Deore then 105 rings won't fit it.
  • alex_uk
    It's a Deore chainset.

I think I might have been complicating things by wanting 105 ... it's a hybrid bike, so I assumed road groupsets, but having looked in to it, it's got MTB components. So I think choosing from the MTB range (rather than the road range) will ensure compatibility. As you point out, the 105 chainrings won't fit on Deore.