Broken XT jocket wheel after 1 ride (pics)

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just been out on my new Canyon Nerve 29er (which was great), but at the end of the ride I noticed the shifting was off. I thought it was down to muck etc on the chain but when I cleaned the bike I noticed the lower jockey wheel was bent and not holding the chain. As you can see it the internals of the jockey wheel have been pulled hugely to one side...ad as a result there is a large rubbed area on the mech.

The mech itself is an XT Shadow plus. Images of the wheel below. Any ideas why this has happened - pretty annoying given its a new bike.

photo_1.jpg
photo_2.jpg
photo_3.jpg
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is it like under the covers?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Here you go. The breaking has come out of alignment so the jockey wheel is spinning on an angle.

I will try and realign it but I'm just concerned why it happened, is it just a fluke?

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Remember Rule #5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Again unfortunaly poor pics. Top one will not open in a fresh window.

And when you press the bearing out?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • These are coming off the ipad sorry. Will try and get bearing out ...
    Remember Rule #5
  • Hi, the bearing wasn't coming out but it pushed back into alignment quite easy, no internal damage noted.

Any ideas what could have caused this. I will email Canyon tomorrow and see what they say too.
    Remember Rule #5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Eh? Looks normal to me.
  • If you look closely (hard I know with the blurry photos) but the bearing is slightly out of alignment.

I have just re-aligned it and put the wheel back on and it turns out there is a stiff link in the chain. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

I guess this is the big 'buy local' argument - if I had bought it from my LBS then I could just run it up there and get it sorted. But now I have to email Canyon, sort the link out myself and wonder if it will happen again.
    Remember Rule #5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There's nothing to sort, that's the way it works. It gives it the float
  • Yes and no, the top jockey wheel should have some movement, the lower shouldn't. My lower jockey wheel was sat at around 75degrees not 90 degrees so was moving side to side on every revolution. Not sure what caused it or the stiff link the jockey wheel to go out of sync...
    Remember Rule #5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Was the cage loose?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cage seemed fine. Bit of a strange one really, not sure what has caused it.

I will email Canyon tomorrow and see what they say. Not quite the start I was anticipating but these things happen - and it is a component failure I guess.
    Remember Rule #5