Any cheap offers on 'city' bikes atm?

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
I use a Giant MTB with slicks for getting round the city at the moment - rides normally less than a few miles each way. It's getting that the point where lots of things on the bike need repairing/replacing - will make more financial sense to replace at some point this year I think. Seen any good offers on 'city'-type bikes lately? Flat or drop bars are fine, but need a few gears at least (some of these few miles is a hill!)

Half-tempted by this, though seems overkill for short distances http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... 2fbicycles Any other suggestions?

Comments

• I have the 2011 version of one of these:

Courier Race Disc '13

revolution-courier-race-disc-13.jpg

It's a brilliant commuting/town bicycle, and I always tend to gravitate towards it if I just feel like going for a no fuss ride.

Also, if you want to save some cash, they do a 'V Brake' version: Revolution Courier Race '13

I should imagine the Country Traveller would be just as good. It also seems to come with the obvious accessories (rack & guards).

revolution-country-traveller-13.jpg
  • notnot
    Thanks - courier does also look nice. Will see how much it works out with mudguards (and probably rack). Or any other suggestions would be grand :)
  • notnot
    Ended up getting a Ridgeway Adventure bike secondhand from my LBS. I quite like it - twist gear shifting, 700C wheels and 725 crmo frame (but a couple of kg lighter than my MTB) :)

Now I just need to decide whether my MTB crudguards look silly enough on the hybrid for it to be worth me buying some new mudguards...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New mudguards, the cruddies would be OK on a more MTB look hybrid, not on that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.