Championship Football

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
Went to see Yeovil v Burnley yesterday. If Burnley are promotion candidates, and do get to the Premiership then they are in for a world of pain.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Yup something to do with TV money. That's why promoted teams tend to either spend like crazy to try to stay up or accept the inevitable, take parachute payments and end up back in the championship for another crack.

2 out 3 promoted teams don't get immediately relegated for nothing.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    It could be worse, my lot are on schedule for championship (Orient) I predict one home draw if we go up.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    It could be worse, my lot are on schedule for championship (Orient) I predict one home draw if we go up.

You think that you are going to pip Brentford for that second space then? :wink:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    £150 million of pain.
    Some of the Derby County board did a Q&A tour before Christmas and that was the figure that they quoted, teams like Leicester have invested heavily to get there and if they don't get there and stay up they're f**ked, other teams are taking a less aggressive approach and may reap that massive reward and then invest it wisely.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

You think that you are going to pip Brentford for that second space then? :wink:

Probably not, they have a bigger squad and resources. I was going by the positions now.

Voltaire
  • mr_goo
    meursault wrote:

Good luck. I am a Bournemouth supporter, and keeping fingers crossed that we can at least stay up for another season. In the Championship, 2-3 defeats in a row, can see you slide from top to bottom in a couple of weeks.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    I'm a Northampton Town fan and jealous of the comfortable postions that supporters of absolutely every other league side enjoy.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mr_goo
    Bournemouth have apparently got a wealthy Russian owner. I think he was the money behind buying Rantie the South African Striker from Malmo for £2.5m. I think he has played a few times and scored one goal. Not good.
    Hope he doesn't waste any more cash like this and put Eddie Howe under pressure for greater things. Bournemouth are punching above their weight and what Howe has achieved if great. If he can keep them in Championship then that is the best any Bournemouth supporter could hope for.
  • meursault wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Probably not, they have a bigger squad and resources. I was going by the positions now.

I saw our match against you at Christmas, must admit I was annoyed that we did not beat you. 70% of the play, but just could not put the ball in the net. It was frustrating to say the least....
    At least it should be a decent scrap until the end with the top teams playing some decent football, rather than hoofing it.
  • Can you still stand at Yeovil? The joys of lower league football.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mr_goo
    Can you still stand at Yeovil? The joys of lower league football.

Yep there were terraces behind both goals. I was in the posh stand on a butt chilling cold seat, crammed in like a sardine. The terraces would have been more comfortable.

BTW, Yeovil are Championship team so not entirely sure if they are currently classified as lower league. However on the evidence of Saturdays performance that will change for next season.
  • meursault
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Can you still stand at Yeovil? The joys of lower league football.

Yep there were terraces behind both goals. I was in the posh stand on a butt chilling cold seat, crammed in like a sardine. The terraces would have been more comfortable.

BTW, Yeovil are Championship team so not entirely sure if they are currently classified as lower league. However on the evidence of Saturdays performance that will change for next season.

Yeovil are deffo lower league :P :P :P :P (4-0 I know)

Voltaire
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Regular at Watford here. Yeovil beat us 3-0 at home! what hope for Watford then.

Last night's game was the first time we'd seen them win in 9 games. We missed their 4-0 win on Boxing day, doh!

On a lighter note what are the odds on Watford beating Man City (assuming Man City beat Blackburn tonight) in the next round of the FA Cup?