Ordered wrong size road bike

Mattpeters
Mattpeters Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
New Years morning after a few drinks ended up online and bought an Fuji Altamira 2.2 di2 53cm frame. I spoke to a sales guy explaining I currently had a starter bike being a Specialized Sectuar Sport which is a 54cm. I was advised a Fuji 53cm will be fine. When it was delivered I noticed it was larger than my specialized. I have about an inch clearance from groin to top tube so no discomfort. I popped in the local shop (with bike) and a sales guy there is recommending a 50cm. Didn't bother sizing me up or adusting saddle or stem, just said I can exchange it but there are no sizes available and nearest equivalent with Di2 is about £1k more. I am totally gutted and not sure what to do. Of course I can exchange this bike for something that has 105 groupset etc. I have adjusted the saddle and can reach the hoods, it seems a bit more of a reach then my specialized. I haven't taken it out yet as awaiting pedals although may put my mtb ones on tomorrow to try it out. I was just wondering is there anyone else out there who has got a slightly larger bike (next size up) and how are you getting on with it and is it really such a big deal?.

Comments

• New Years morning after a few drinks ended up online and bought an Fuji Altamira 2.2 di2 53cm frame. I spoke to a sales guy explaining I currently had a starter bike being a Specialized Sectuar Sport which is a 54cm. I was advised a Fuji 53cm will be fine. When it was delivered I noticed it was larger than my specialized. I have about an inch clearance from groin to top tube so no discomfort. I popped in the local shop (with bike) and a sales guy there is recommending a 50cm. Didn't bother sizing me up or adusting saddle or stem, just said I can exchange it but there are no sizes available and nearest equivalent with Di2 is about £1k more. I am totally gutted and not sure what to do. Of course I can exchange this bike for something that has 105 groupset etc. I have adjusted the saddle and can reach the hoods, it seems a bit more of a reach then my specialized. I haven't taken it out yet as awaiting pedals although may put my mtb ones on tomorrow to try it out. I was just wondering is there anyone else out there who has got a slightly larger bike (next size up) and how are you getting on with it and is it really such a big deal?.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Why not just contact the place you bought the Fuji from and ask them to exchange it for a 50?
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There's a lot more to bike sizing than just the (effective) seatpost size. !st question, do you like the geometry and size of the secteur? It could just be that the geo of the Fuji is different to the Spesh rather than the wrong size.

Spesh have a very good website showing all the vital stats so you should be able to work out what bits you like and which you don't. It then gets a bit tricky as there is a balance between all the measurements (top tube, reach, etc.).

Why not just pause for breath and go back to the basics of why you want a new bike?
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    First 'good' bike I got was a Trek 58cm, lbs sized me quickly by inside leg, but it proved to be marginally too big for me imo. I switched to a 80mm stem which helped but is nowhere near as comfortable as my 56cm Cannondale.
  • Why not just contact the place you bought the Fuji from and ask them to exchange it for a 50?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    A 53cm Fuji has an effective toptube of 56cm where the Specialized is 54.8cm.

12mm isn't a massive amount if it isn't causing problems.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Before you beat yourself up about it why not get your LBS to fit a shorter stem.

If NeXXus is correct then dropping 10mm from the existing stem size will bring you to almost the identical "reach" to your Spesh.

Stems are not that expensive and you can always sell on the old one if the LBS won't do an exchange.

Certainly worth a try rather than going through the hassle of trying to return the bike to the online supplier.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Geta10mm shorter stem and some short reach bars like deda rhm 1.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If I'm right and the 53cm Fuji has a 56cm effective top tube, then assuming your 54cm Spec was a good fit then this will be too big for you. Don't bodge it with a silly short stem, get a bike that fits.
    More problems but still living....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    this is the whole reason you get a bike fit, then you know which size you want when looking at the desired bike's geometry. Most salespeople in bike shops will sell you anything, not caring if it will fit you or not.
  • Get a 20mm shorter stem, an inline seatpost and some short reach bars
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have spoke with Evans and I have ordered in Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact 2013 and a Trek 4.9 "Trek Madone 4.9 H2 Compact 2013. Both about £2k same price I paid for the Fuji. So can do an exchange. The Specialized comes with Ultegra and Trek with Di2 but brakes and chainset not the best. I think I will be happier getting the right size. Cheers all.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I've got a M/L giant defy where I should have really got a M. I've got a 90mm stem instead of 100mm and short reach/drop bars and it's fine, absolutely no issues.

Having said that, I'll be going for M (or equivalent) when I get something in a carbon frame later in the year!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    johngti wrote:
    I've got a M/L giant defy where I should have really got a M. I've got a 90mm stem instead of 100mm and short reach/drop bars and it's fine, absolutely no issues.

Having said that, I'll be going for M (or equivalent) when I get something in a carbon frame later in the year!

This seems to happen with Giants a lot. I also got sold an M/L when I should have been on a M. Sold it in the end and bought a different bike altogether.