Using cork handlebar tape on a hybrid stem and handlebars

conrad101
conrad101 Posts: 18
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I have bought some giant cork handlebar tape with a view to using it on a hybrid stem handlebars. The stem was originally taken from this model:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bi ... tions_id=4

The image doesn't show the handlebars very well but suffice to say that they are flat and straight.

I have seen on youtube, videos to demonstrate fitting the tape to road style handlebars for which the tape is intended but I am not sure about whether it is a good idea to try to use this tape on hybrid type of handlebars.

Of particular importance, I want my bicycle to look good and of course although I am inexperienced in doing this but so far when I have practiced putting the tape on, the results seem a bit peculiar to my eye.

Do you think that it is better to get a handlebar grip instead or do you feel that it is possible to make an attractive job of using handlebar tape on hybrid handlebars?

Many thanks

Comments

• The usual reason for putting bar tape on is because there are tight angles that a grip would not go around. However, there is no reason not to use bar tape on a flat barred bike and it looks very good on bikes with Bullhorn bars so apart from one angle they are similar.

Try searching utube for videos showing how to tape bullhorn bars and you should get the basic principles.

It will make your bike stand out in the crowd which is good if that is what you want. If you don't want it to look different then get some lock on grips and forget the tape.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've done it on my butterfly bars, but it's a bit trickier over shorter lengths... I'd probably go for a pair of grips in your position.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Be aware that hybrid bars will be narrower than road bars so you might need to double wrap to get the same grip diameter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown