Help Identifying Unusual Bottom Bracket

steve61
steve61 Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I am trying to replace the bottom bracket on a cheap salcano road bike. It's a conventional assembly of spindle with 2 loose bearings and 2 end cups. One of the end cups has a conventional parallel centre tongue, so that was easy enough to remove. The other cup has an internal 6 notch drive - see picture attached. I can't find a tool anywhere which seems to fit this, and I can't find any references to any BB with this type of drive. It's very tight so I really need the right tool to try to get it out. Can anyone tell me what this type is called, or where I might find the right tool?

Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you've been to a good shop to try all the tools and none fit, either repack and rebuild, or soak in plusgas and use a hammer and chisel or hacksaw the cup
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    make sure you're trying to undo it in the proper direction, that's the drive side isn't it? if it's italian threaded the ds unscrews the opposite way to an english threaded bb

measure the width of the bb shell... 68mm english, 70mm italian

as above, steep in plusgas (not wd40 etc. it is nowhere near as good)

if you're not going to re-use the cup you can use a dremel/whatever to cut channels on opposite sides of the axle hole, then put a chunky flat steel blade in there (like a cold chisel or woodcutting drill bit) and use a wrench+pipe on it to turn the thing, wear goggles
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Ask at your local bike shop, I'm sure I've got a BB remover at the back of a drawer that looks like that, buthave never used it

alternatively I have used ~Sheldon Brown's technique with a chunky nut and bolt to great success

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Also try a motorbike repair shop. They usually have tools to remove various large sized Castle nuts which are similar to what you have with your BB. Just make sure you know which direction the threads are before handing it over to the mechanic. Should be an easy job for them.