Hydro Brake fitting

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Any videos on fitting hydro brakes about I have some XT brakes I wish to fit but am a noob.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Offer up to bike. Put bolts in holes and do up.

It ain't rocket sience and should all be covered with the fitting info that comes with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Scozz76
    Scozz76 Posts: 27
    You Toob!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If they're owt like my new XTs he'll need to shorten the hoses first, unless it's a very, very big bike.
  • Hoses will need cutting, if I cut them myself will they need bleeding
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    toastedone wrote:
    Hoses will need cutting, if I cut them myself will they need bleeding

If you look on Shimano's site there's instructions on how to shorten them without needing to bleed them. How well it works in practice I can't say - haven't tried it yet.
  • I also have ispec shifters to fit, so maybe I should pass it to a shop to do I have been quoted £60 to fit brakes, shifters and index ect. Not sure if that is a fair price or not.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    If you are not confident at all, to me £60 sounds alright assuming they also shorten the hoses, bleed and get it all set up right.

That being said, all the jobs are quite easy and the instructions you get with the parts plus you tube and pink bike etc, will fill in the gaps. If you have any mechanical aptitude, it will be fine. I have done all of these things for the first time in the last 12 months no issue and I am just a sales guy who doesn't know one end of a spanner from the other.

As for the shimano no bleed hose shortening method, for me it worked to a point. The brakes worked just fine after, however if ever upturned the bike to change a tyre tube on the trail, the brakes would not work at all until I did a few pumps, indicating air in the reservoir. Once I bled them to the shimano instructions, no further issues. I was also an easy job.