Hope pro 2 rear HELP

sharpet
sharpet Posts: 13
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have just rebuilt my pro 2 with new bearings and now everything is back together apart from the cassette holder (brass colour bit). I believe its supposed to pop on. I have the tool but I'm putting most of my weight on it and it still not popping into place.

Has anyone had this problem or can help?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have not seated the bearings correctly.

But yes they can be a pain to fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    You should mount the freehub body (the gold bit), which just slides into place, then pop the plastic/rubber seal on it into place. If the seal is badly worn then it might not actually "pop" into place as it might no longer be a snug enough fit. If that's the case, then you can purchase a replacement seal for a couple of quid.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Is there a gap between the free hub and hub shell? If so you've not pressed the bearings in fully. Or as mentioned above the seal is badly worn, you should replace the, every once in awhile.
  • sharpet
    Okay cool, I'll get a new seal. The free hub and hub shell seems to fitting well and the seal when put together is flush with the hub.

Last time I did this there was a little play when free hub and hub shell were together as though it should pop.

Should the bearing on free hub (spring end) be flush with the free hub? Not sure if the washer on the hub should sit into the free hub? Any advice on how al the bearings should look when in place gratefully received.

Should of paid more attention when dismantling!
  • jimothy78
    Yes, the bearings should sit flush with the edge of the freehub body - the washer should be slid onto the axle before the freehub body.

Good breakdown of the process and pictures here:
    http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/ma ... ervice.htm
  • sharpet
    Top man jimothy!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    To hijack the thread a small bit... can anyone suggest why my hope freehub is very stiff? I dismantled it (accidently pulled the freehub off) to fit a new rim, it feels OK once it goes back into place but once the end cap goes on and pushes the whole assembly together it stops spinning nicely. Even worse when clamped in the dropout (back pedalling causes all sorts of problems).

I've checked the servicing instructions and the exploded view, a quick google suggests a similar problem if a washer is missing - it's not, everything's there so far as I can see.

Any ideas?

Ta.
  • jimothy78
    1. Did you definitely get the spacer washer between the hub shell and freehub body?
    2. Perhaps one (or more) of the pawls or springs got displaced or is being hampered by dirt, too much grease, etc - did you clean it all thoroughly and lightly re-grease before reinstalling?
    3. Is the freehub body seal properly installed? Might be a source of friction if not fully popped into the channel it sits in.
    4. If you accidentally pulled off the freehub, there's presumably a small chance you twisted one of the bearings out of line - maybe check they're properly seated, too?