Shimano 105 5700 front gear cable installation?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

Just fitting some 5700 105 shifters and am properly stuck with getting the gear cable on the front shifter. The tech docs say to insert the cable into the little cable hole but I can't find it. I've also removed the little shift cable cover thing but I still can't work it out!

Can anyone help or got any pics of where it goes?

Ta

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Have you clicked the shifter down to the low position? It should be fairly obvious.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Check out the details on this document. In the middle of the page about 2/3rds of the way down you will see the diagrams that explain where the hole is to insert the shifter cable.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 702880.pdf

Some suggest that you need to remove the side plate for this operation but I found that I could install the new cable without removing it. As Major Mantra says - make sure you have clicked that inner paddle all the way to make sure everything is aligned properly
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    THe right hand shifter - yes, took me a while to find it and that was with the luxury of having an existing gear cable in (that needed changing) - it's underneath on the right hand side (left as you look up - eitherway it's on the outer under edge) - push the end of the cable up through there and hopefully it'll find the case - if not pull back and do it again.
  • Thanks for the replies but I sorted it. There wasn't a cable hole like on the rear shifter but had to put it up by the mechanism.