Trek and Campagnolo

PDSW
PDSW Posts: 14
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone new poster here.I am relatively new to road cycling (3 years) my question is around why you don't seem to be able to buy Trek bikes with Campagnolo gearing.Is this a technical/practical issue?Or just image?
I got into cycling with a Wilier Escape with Xenon gearing and cycling became a serious hobby and decided to do a couple of sportives. I bought a first carbon bike Trek Madone 3.1 Series with 105.I loved the frame/ride but just could not get on with the 105 gears so I changed back to a Wilier Izoard with Veloce which to be honest I am very happy with and has never let me down.
But I did like the Madone and have considered buying another and trying to get Campagnolo fitted.I asked the guy in the LBS and he looked at me like I was odd (maybe I am)!
I cant quite make up my mind whether to just park the idea and upgrade my Wilier.
Any thoughts/comments/information appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There's nothing wrong with doing it, it's just image, Trek are American as you can get, Campagnolo is Italian as you can get. Nothing wrong with 'punking things up'.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    equipment-4007.jpg
    trekdomane_green_600.jpg

Nothing wrong with it!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Buy the frameset? Or buy a Madone, sell the fitted groupset unused on ebay, and buy the campagnolo groupset?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    PDSW wrote:
    But I did like the Madone and have considered buying another and trying to get Campagnolo fitted.I asked the guy in the LBS and he looked at me like I was odd (maybe I am)!
    No, you're not odd. Some of the biggie mfrs. Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. offer one groupset and you take it or leave it. Campag seems to be the odd man out with these brands more often than not these days. As mentioned, get the frame or buy the complete bike and sell off the groupset.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Plenty of Italian americans about so nothing wrong with a Trek sporting Campagnolo. I have done a few my favouite being an old Trek 5000 fitted with Veloce.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I just love the Trek in the top photo, I can't stop looking at it. It has to be one of
    the best looking bike I've seen on this forum.

Anyone know what model and year it could be ?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Rokt wrote:
    I just love the Trek in the top photo, I can't stop looking at it. It has to be one of
    the best looking bike I've seen on this forum.

Anyone know what model and year it could be ?

Its a 2011 Madone.. not sure of the actual model number though.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    So it is, I've just googled it and I must say it looks sh*t without the Campagnolo......
  • PDSW
    PDSW Posts: 14
    Thanks for all your replies guys-that Madone does look brilliant.Convinced me to look into getting another.
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    I'm pretty sure that you can choose Campag if you go for a project one madone.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    I have a Veloce crankset (Power Torque) to fit to a Trek 1.1 H2 frame. Any idea if this is a simple job or do I need additional gubbins?
  • I bought a Scott frame and transferred my Campagnolo groupset (Athena, Power Torque) onto it. It works fine.
  • gethinceri
    Thanks, my frame currently uses a square taper UH55 Shimano BB, this is the bit I'm uncertain of.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Thanks, my frame currently uses a square taper UH55 Shimano BB, this is the bit I'm uncertain of.

That will work fine as long as it's a standard BSA threaded BB on the Veloce. Which it almost certainly will be.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Gethinceri wrote:

That will work fine as long as it's a standard BSA threaded BB on the Veloce. Which it almost certainly will be.

If a reasonably new (post 2009) Veloce the "BB" is integrated and it only needs the right BB cups.
  • gethinceri
    Thanks folks, now just a couple of months destroying current cassette & chain to go!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    if you have the taste and can afford Campagnolo, why the hell would you put it on a TREK !!!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • gethinceri
    Because I am gaining my own mechanical skills through doing the build myself.
    Because my H2 frame is just right for me.
    Because I was able to get the Campag groupset for £200.00
    Because I'm doing a "Trigger's Broom" in memory of the late Roger Lloyd Pack.
    Because fuck you, you fucking cunt, I'll do what the fuck I like, it's my fucking bike!
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Because fark you, you ******* ****, I'll do what the fark I like, it's my ******* bike!

Haha, well said!!
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Because fark you, you ******* ****, I'll do what the fark I like, it's my ******* bike!

How succinct!!

Fair play!
    Can we see pics when completed??
  • gethinceri
    Sure, when I remember! At the moment it's on winter duties then when there's no salt on the road and my other bike leaves the house I'll be getting on with it. I'm hoping to get the frame carbon film coated as the final step so it'll be a long time coming. It was my first road bike and I love it, even though it was an e-bay special with low-spec kit, all of which will be replaced if it hasn't already been.