new tyres

crannman
crannman Posts: 99
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
hi all looking to change tyres on road bike carrera virtuoso looking for a good allrounder ant ideas :D:D:D:D

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Bontrager race lite hardcase
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buckles wrote:

These are heavier than your bike :D

Continental 4 seasons for something lightweight that offers a reasonable level of puncture protection.

There are almost as many tyre choices as there are opinions though.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • conti gp 4000s.....cant go wrong really.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • thanks will have a look at those
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Buckles wrote:

10000 miles + on one set of tyres with no punctures
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    GP4000S or GP 4 Seasons - excellent!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    rubino pro 3
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    another gp4000s fan here, over 2000 miles in and still happy - 25mm running a few psi less than my old 23's for a bit more comfort but still feeling very sure grip on damp corners
  • Gatorskins are my choice from a limited selection (27" wheels), but I've found them to be very good; no punctures in the 18 months the current pair have been on. As well as the width and pressure you prefer, the roads you ride on will affect the level of protection you need; Gatorskins are overkill for my needs in that respect but others will destroy them in short order...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Panaracer Race Duro D Evo 2, 25mm. "Ideal uses: Sportives, Training and All-Season Riding".
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Mikey41 wrote:
    I've ridden Conti GP4000S non stop for over 3 years now and will replace and carry on, they really are the dog's b's.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • thanks all .....cant believe the cost of tyres but will have a hunt for best deals
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    GP4000s is an awesome tyre but a bit thin and likely to puncture if you're on flinty roads this winter. For a bit more protection try the GP4 seasons or the Schwalbe Durano. For the sake of balance, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX is (maybe) slightly better than the GP4000s, but still a bit thin for winter riding. YMMV.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I have just changed over to GP4000s after advice from the forum and i have to say they have been excellent so far.

I have only rode about 200 miles on them so far so i cant comment on durability but in terms of grip, weight and speed they are excellent
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another vote here for either GP 4000s or 4 Seasons.
    Probably GP 4000s now as we are heading towards spring.
    Think GP4000s are a little grippier/faster and 4 Seasons a little more hard wearing/puncture resistant.

Gatorskins are really popular but I think it is because they are usually a lot cheaper.
    Think there is a new GP4000s coming out so you can get the current ones for about £26 so the difference in cost is not too bad.
  • I'm delighted with my Schwalbe Durano tyres.

Managed to get them for £19 each from Amazon. They roll much faster than my old gatorskins and haven't punctured in around 600 miles so far on extremely wet/gritty/flinty roads. They also grip much better and I feel far more secure.
  • Mikey41 wrote:

+1 for this.

I run GP4000S for summer and 4 Seasons for winter, been spot on. Only issue is after fitting the 4 Seasons I no longer have any thumbs.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mikey41 wrote:

+1 for this.

I run GP4000S for summer and 4 Seasons for winter, been spot on. Only issue is after fitting the 4 Seasons I no longer have any thumbs.

What wheels? My 25mm 4 Seasons are pretty easy to get on / off my Shimano wheels (RS10 and R501)
  • 23mm 4 Seasons on RS10s.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Sorry abit Off topic but as people keep mentioning flints just wondering something?

Iv'e never seen any flint on the roads locally, its blackthorn or hawthorn that causes my punctures usually.

I though flint was limited to cetain regional areas of UK depending on underlying rock geology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint

It is especially associated with East Anglia, but also used in chalky areas stretching through Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey and Kent to Somerset.

So in theese places the flint get on the roads causes punture nightmares conditions but other places not a prob?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Continental 4 seasons again.
    They're a bit pricey but I like them
  • keef66
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Sorry abit Off topic but as people keep mentioning flints just wondering something?

Iv'e never seen any flint on the roads locally, its blackthorn or hawthorn that causes my punctures usually.

I though flint was limited to cetain regional areas of UK depending on underlying rock geology?

It is especially associated with East Anglia, but also used in chalky areas stretching through Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey and Kent to Somerset.

So in theese places the flint get on the roads causes punture nightmares conditions but other places not a prob?

Correct! Flints are washed onto the roads and the water acts as a lubricant helping them slice into tyres.

I can personally vouch for the presence of flint shards on the roads round here, so that's East Anglia covered. Couple of months ago I did a wet ride on some cheap but brand new Rubino tyres. Tiny shard of flint went right through the tyre tread and as the wheel continued to rotate it sliced a neat series of cuts right through both sides of the tube. Fortunately the cut in the tyre was small, and having removed the offending piece of flint I was able to fit the spare tube and ride home.

First thing I did when I got back was stick the Conti 4 Seasons tyres back on the bike. The Rubino has been saved by sticking a chunky patch on the inside; I'll try to wear them out in the summer. I normally like to patch tubes, but this latticework tube went in the bin. Looked like the shower curtain from Psycho.
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    Another vote for Conti 4000s or 4-Seasons. I run 23 and 25 mm 4-Seasons on two bikes and they're excellent - not had a puncture in nearly 3,000 miles and seem to roll well.

Mark, I found them very easy to fit on my Synapse's Maddux RD 2.0 and Sensium's Mavic Aksiums, so maybe it's a wheel thing.
  • keef66
    Nick_M wrote:
    Another vote for Conti 4000s or 4-Seasons. I run 23 and 25 mm 4-Seasons on two bikes and they're excellent - not had a puncture in nearly 3,000 miles and seem to roll well.

Mark, I found them very easy to fit on my Synapse's Maddux RD 2.0 and Sensium's Mavic Aksiums, so maybe it's a wheel thing.

He's fitting them to the same RS10 wheels as me, and mine go on fairly easily. Must be a tyre to tyre variation, or possibly my 25mms are easier than his 23's??
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Probably GP 4000s now as we are heading towards spring.

Don't bet on it.

Another vote for GP 4 Seasons. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I didn't notice any effect on speed when I put them on to replace the stock tyres (Schwalbe Luganos) on my road bike.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • I dunno, perhaps just a slight variation in the width of the tyre or width of the rim or environmental factors? But they were an absolute bugger to fit. In contrast the GP4000S went on with no effort.
  • ...I'm obviously the only person in the world to use Michelin!!....PRO4 Service Course have been faultless for me....23m in summer, 25mm in winter,....great combination of grip, performance, puncture resistance and value, I think...perfect all rounder!

Gatorskins put me off Conti's for life after a few slippy moments in the wet, so I'm (probably unfairly!) biased against them...!
  • I have to agree ref gatorskins. I swore by mine over the summer but they are like being on ice skates at the moment. Far far too twitchy on damp corners
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    keef66 wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

Correct! Flints are washed onto the roads and the water acts as a lubricant helping them slice into tyres.

I can personally vouch for the presence of flint shards on the roads round here, so that's East Anglia covered. Couple of months ago I did a wet ride on some cheap but brand new Rubino tyres. Tiny shard of flint went right through the tyre tread and as the wheel continued to rotate it sliced a neat series of cuts right through both sides of the tube. Fortunately the cut in the tyre was small, and having removed the offending piece of flint I was able to fit the spare tube and ride home.

First thing I did when I got back was stick the Conti 4 Seasons tyres back on the bike. The Rubino has been saved by sticking a chunky patch on the inside; I'll try to wear them out in the summer. I normally like to patch tubes, but this latticework tube went in the bin. Looked like the shower curtain from Psycho.

Eh? Wouldn't the tube have rotated with the tyre?