At Last: La Vuelta 2014 Route

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Finally, we have La Vuelta's 2014 route:

http://www.lavuelta.com/14pr/es/index.html

Easy to scroll through the etapas to find the profiles.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• at a glance looks quite balanced (compared to some previous offerings). Still summit finish heavy, stages designed for 90 minute TV coverage, no?
  • Not sure they will get many sprinters hanging around for the single sprint stage (17) from stage 12 onwards. Although having said that apart from 16 most of them have long flat nothing-ness for most of the stage it seems (sure it doesn't feel that way at the end of a GT granted).
  • Had a look, now and I don't like it.
    Only one, real multi-col stage.
    The rest mostly seem to be a climb tagged on the back of a flat or rolling stage, as per usual.
    The penultimate stage up Ancares will be a whole lot of nothing, as per usual.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Some idiot had released the info earlier in the week which I refrained from positing. A lot of leaks in cycling...lots of people with ego issues.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I've taken a look at the profile and although as BS states their are not a lot of multi col stages it will (hopefully) keep people engaged through MTF's.

Bearing in mind the winner last year will they now have a "Beige jersey" for the best oldcomer?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    Cater made for JRod. Lets hope he wins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it ending on a TT?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Great, lots of stage and the finish in Galicia, the most scenic part of Spain IMHO

The route doesn't seem as mad as last few years - apart from La Camperona no super steep finish ramps as far as I can see. Still a couple of good mountain top finishes; Ancares should be a great finish, if it still matters at that stage. The Farrapona stage is the only real mountain stage with multiple high mountain climbs, but then that may keep the GC tight.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador:
    “I think that has followed the format of recent years, which is what gives spectacle and what people want,” he said of the three-week Spanish race. “The balance is in favour of the pure climbers. It is true that there are many up hill finishes, especially if we think on the bonuses, which are assuming great importance in recent years.”

“Concerning the time trials, in the first there will be not many differences,” Contador opined. “The second also favours climbers, because it starts with a climb and that will do minimal differences, and the last is only 10 kilometres long, but can always help if you are in a few seconds. You never know.”

“If I have legs, of course I like it,” Contador said. “You must be aware that it will be the second big tour after the Tour de France, that I want to do at hundred percent. For me it is unknown what my performance will be in the Vuelta after riding the Tour.”

“It is even harder from the point of view that has many finishes that are even longer than those in 2012 and that encourages me because it's not as explosive,” he said, “because more explosive riders can always take time on me in one kilometre with a high percentage gradient... but it all depends on the legs you have.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    If J Rod doesn't win this he'll never win a GT.
  • rick_chasey
    Will be a good one.

2013 TDF podium starting
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I assume if people are talking about J-Rod then there are bonnifications this year?

I like the Pilgrimage idea of the last TT, 10km wont cause many problems though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    It looks good. Not great, but good. I'm not a fan of finishing with a TT, but it worked in the Giro the year Menchov won. So I'll keep an open mind.
    I would say it's a route which someone who isn't a pure climber could win on. It'd be great to see J-Rod finally get one.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Meh. I expect we'll see the usual tactic of just riding in the wheels until the last km when there'll be a slow motion sprint for a handful of seconds.

It feels like we've been saying that if JRod can't win this one then he never will for the last 2 or 3 years. That said, if he doesn't win this one he never will. I hope he does actually because he deserves to end his career with one GT win.

Has Quintana said whether he will ride?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ends with a prologue length TT?
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    I assume if people are talking about J-Rod then there are bonnifications this year?

I like the Pilgrimage idea of the last TT, 10km wont cause many problems though...

Froome JRod Quintana
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Ends with a prologue length TT?

an Epilogue?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    If J Rod doesn't win this he'll never win a GT.

unfortunately I don't think he will... :(
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Stannard will be back in action for this years Vuelta.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Froome's retirement from the Tour could actually work out quite well because I'd rather see Froome v Quintana than Froome v Contador.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Froome v Quintana v Contador v J Rod
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Froome v Quintana v Contador v J Rod v Horner v Aru v Uran v Wilco v Martin v Wiggins

Bring it on :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.