fixing clear coat

mebevars
mebevars Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Okay, I'm the proud owner of a 2005 Specialized Tarmac that has a fantastic carbon frameset. The clear coat, however, has developed "bubbles" in it, giving it a yellowish appearance. This is purely an aesthetic thing.....still, it looks bad. Any suggestions on how to fix these bubbles??

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Strip the paint and get it resprayed?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • yeah...problem is, I'm not sure it is painted. Underneath the clearcoat is a really neat carbon weave pattern, that I believe to be the frame material itself.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So what advice are you expecting?! There are bubbles in the lacquer - ie the lacquer is no longer in contact with the frame. What can you do apart from strip it and relacquer it (quite a job I believe) or strip it and paint it (cheaper, less prep required, but you lose the visible carbon weave)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    you can either use abrasives to take off the clearcoat, needs care, take ages, or try something like carbo-lift http://eco-lifting.com/

either way, do it properly, strip the frame of all components, remove clearcoat, recoat, rebuild
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Role F ....I'm not sure what advice I was expecting but I do know it is more like sungod 's than yours. Lighten up. Thanks sungod....I'll explore that option.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    How bad are the bubbles?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • On the top tube there are 2...one is 2 inches by 3/4 inch, near internal cable opening....The second is 2 1/2 by 1/2 inch.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mebevars wrote:
    Role F ....I'm not sure what advice I was expecting but I do know it is more like sungod 's than yours. Lighten up. Thanks sungod....I'll explore that option.

You should probably lighten up yourself and chill out a bit. As Sungod and I both said - re-lacquering is a difficult job. All I was getting at was surely you know the answer yourself. There is no magic solution that will repair your lacquer. You either have to strip it and do it really thoroughly if you want to preserve the weave or you can do it less thoroughly and have it repainted.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haha...