Shimano Cassette

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm wondering what the real world differences are between a Shimano 10 speed cassette in XT, SLX and Deore I have read the more you pay the lighter they are etc, but what are they like out on the trail, is there any major differences when changing gear, how long they last on the bike?

I'm not one for my bike has this and has that on it, I just want it to work well.

What are your experiences of different kit like?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    In my experience Shimano cassettes last the same whether they are Deore or XT. Your extra money gets you less weight and a slightly smoother but slightly noisier gear change. The smoother is possibly down to more time taken to finish the cogs, the noisier is possibly down to the lack of metal to absorb the sound.

The last 2 cassettes I have bought have been SLX from Merlin cycles but too be honest I would be happy with Deore which I have used several times with no problems. If you buy an XT there is a nice Oooh when you open the box as they are a lovely piece of kit :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Performance wise there is not a lot between the slx and xt cassette, the xt is negligibly lighter and more expensive, couldn't comment on the deore cassette.

What hub do you have and what is the free hub made of, steel or alloy? The xt and slx cassette both have the same alloy carrier, the deore carrier is steel... Steel will chew into freehubs made of alloy, ti, or other softer (than steel) metals... That and budget is what would determine my choice.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Thank you very much for the replies much appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    miceden wrote:
    What hub do you have and what is the free hub made of, steel or alloy? The xt and slx cassette both have the same alloy carrier, the deore carrier is steel... Steel will chew into freehubs made of alloy, ti, or other softer (than steel) metals... That and budget is what would determine my choice.
    Deore of course doesn't have a carrier which is why the individual gears (with just plastic pacers) chew into alloy freehubs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    @£35 from CRC, XT is a no brainer.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8