Replacement derailleur

kesher
kesher Posts: 44
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Can someone recommend a decent replacement for my Acera (8 Speed) rear derailleur? Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any Shimano 8 or 9 speed. Deore/XT or another Acera/Altus.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kesher
    So any 9 speed Deore/XT will be OK?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    That's what he said.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kesher
    The XT/Deore (Shadow) rear derailleurs are available with different length cages and the Acera seems to be only available in one size which I am not sure what size it is: it seems to be long cage. The cassette on the bike is 11T- 32T and three chainrings
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So, what's your question? Info in the FAQs
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cheap Acera

Cheerful Deore

Better XT
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    None of those ^^ Shadow are the way forward.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    kesher wrote:
    The XT/Deore (Shadow) rear derailleurs are available with different length cages and the Acera seems to be only available in one size which I am not sure what size it is: it seems to be long cage. The cassette on the bike is 11T- 32T and three chainrings
    Get a long cage. I don't like Shadow mechs, but that may be just me. But any Shimano mech will work fine, just decide how much you want to pay. Deore/SLX/XT are better in ascending order, but all work fine. Alivio/Altus/Acera (god knows which is supposed to be best) are lower level, but actually work really well, may be a touch heavier, but can be found really cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't like Shadow mechs, but that may be just me.

Not the only one I dont like them either they never shift quite as well or as quietly as a normal Shimano mech no matter how much tweaking you do. They also break just as easily as an old style mech when you hit a stump.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kesher
    Thanks for suggestions, though I have to say that I was in a shop yesterday and the owner insisted that replacing Acera with anything better than Acera would be wasted on an 8 speed as, for example, the XT/Deore is really for 9 speed and that I would not see any improvement regarding gear changing, and also it would not be any stronger/more reliable.
  • kesher wrote:
    Thanks for suggestions, though I have to say that I was in a shop yesterday and the owner insisted that replacing Acera with anything better than Acera would be wasted on an 8 speed as, for example, the XT/Deore is really for 9 speed and that I would not see any improvement regarding gear changing, and also it would not be any stronger/more reliable.

Unless you have an absolute clanger of a bike and that's why your bike mechanic feels that a deore mech is just purely not worth upgrading to then I would definitely find yourself a better bike shop/ bike mechanic because the derailleurs already mentioned are far superior to your original.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But they won't shift any better. Might last longer though!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shifting will be the same (new) but the 'better' mech is lighter and will last longer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.