Headset Rusty Coloured Discharge

Dizeee
Dizeee Posts: 337
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Noticed this a couple of times when it has been really wet last year and then last week on my winter hack.

Bike is a 2012 Bianchi ally frame, A stem headset. It's in good order and has no issues. However, having been out in some shite conditions of late, I keep getting trails of mud, which are actually sticky rusty type residue trails leaking down the frame from the headset. Only a couple here and there but enough to have to get the bucket out and clean off.

Normal?

Comments

• No, not normal. Take apart, clean and re grease before the whole thing seizes up!
  • Something is rusting in there. Strip it out and replace it. Things will not get better.

Spray it with Corrosion X when you reassemble.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Headset bearings probably need replacing (lower anyway) - rusty streaks indicate water penetration and corrosion. Once corroded, they rarely can be resurrected.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Don't panic, it's just a sign that your headset needs some TLC.
    Some headset designs are really crap at preventing water Ingres and the brown guck it's just a mix of old grease, rust and water.......very,very common, especially with 'caged' bearings
    Take it apart, degrease and reassemble with a good water resistant grease.
    You my need to change the bearings....cost you about £1.....unless you take it to a bike shop then it will cost £15 to £20
    If they are caged bearings my advise would be to just replace them with loose ball bearings.....less metal = less rust.
    No need for any special sprays....just good water resistant grease.
  • When you see rust leaching out, it's terminal. You need a new (lower) bearing. Trying to resurrect it with grease is a bit like doing CPR to a body in the morgue... it's good practice, but not very effective.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    Thanks all, as usual it has stopped this despite me continuiing to ride in the shit conditions. I will get it serviced in spring, I think its just surface rust as it only occurs once in around ten rides. It did seize after I washed and left it this week but not sure if that's just frozen water as it was outside in the cold shed.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't think it's been cold enough to freeze a headset solid. I suspect your lower bearing is trashed and overdue for replacement. If you leave it to corrode even further you may find it difficult to remove when you finally get round to it.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Dizeee wrote:
    I will buy a new headset in spring...

Fixed that for you ;)

When you do, be sure to buy one with sealed cartridge bearings. If you're not happy disassembling, cleaning and re-greasing on a regular basis, then cup-and-cone bearings are not for you.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I have reached the conclusion that the seals on the cartridge bearings used in some integrated headsets are rubbish. Realise the bearings on bikes without 'guards are subject to road spray when riding in the wet but I have had to replace two headsets on my summer bike which rusted in no time- seals must be cr*p. As already said above, there is no point trying to re-grease them as the bearings and races will be shot. I am now using a decent quality headset (Ritchey WCS) and hope/expect it will last better than the previous ones.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I had the same rusty discharge on my Trek 1.5 winter bike and it turns out it was caused by the bearing cages. This particular Cane Creek headset seems to be a cheap and nasty one using "semi-cartridge" bearings, which are in fact, loose 1/8" balls in a flimsy, rust-prone cage, covered by a metal upper race and seal ring. I just replaced the balls with new ones purchased for about £4 and discarded the cages. The internal cups were in good shape and the upper cups/races were not too shabby so the headset is now running nice and smoothly for just a little outlay and fettling time. I'll maybe get around to getting a decent headset fitted (LBS quoted £50 for fitting a cartridge bearing type), but with a little TLC there should be a couple of years left in this one yet.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    How long do headsets typically last?
    I haven't replaced or serviced the HS ("FSA carbon integrated") on my road bike which is almost nine years old and gets ridden in all weather. It's the only part of the bike that I haven't serviced or replaced.
    It still seems smooth and has no evidence of any problems. Am I supremely lucky or ignoring something that needs urgent TLC???
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    shazzz wrote:
    How long do headsets typically last?
    I haven't replaced or serviced the HS ("FSA carbon integrated") on my road bike which is almost nine years old and gets ridden in all weather. It's the only part of the bike that I haven't serviced or replaced.
    It still seems smooth and has no evidence of any problems. Am I supremely lucky or ignoring something that needs urgent TLC???
    Depends. If it has well sealed bearings then a very long time is a possibility. The headset on my Trek has poorly sealed bearings and even though this bike has always had a front mudguard fitted, I noticed a rusty discharge from an early stage. Saying that, the headset still ran pretty smoothly so I could have gone on without doing anything. If the steering gets notchy, there may be brinnelling caused by lack of lube or other reasons which would necessitate replacement. If yours is working fine then, I be tempted to leave it, or maybe have a look and see if you can squeeze some more grease into or around the bearings to help keep water out.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Thanks - I'll leave alone for now but will probably give it some TLC in the Spring.