Is cycling a dangerous sport/hobby/pastime?

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
Do you consider that pursuing the sport of cycling to be dangerous?

Obviously the fact you're on this site means it is a risk you're prepared to take,but, where do you draw the line.

Cycling in very windy conditions, time trialing on A roads, riding on snow/ice, downhilling off road, riding at night. What makes you think............................Not on this occasion, I'll give it a miss?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• You tell us first...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Ducks and JCB's, both decided to attack me. The duck was more aggressive and persistent.
  • Squashed my banana once.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    If Mrs Florerider finds out how much is spent, then yes it will be a dangerous sport.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Cycling is quite safe. The problem is that driving motor vehicles is potentially quite dangerous, and motor vehicles tend to be driven in the same space that cyclists ride bicycles.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    If you measure it like an insurance company which is probably best for the question you asked you would have to say yes. If you take out life cover and you confirm to them that you take part in time trialing or any form of multi-field riding they load the premium.
    They don't however load the premium if you cycle on your own or with friends.

Judging on that I would say risk is definitely greater for the sportier side if cyclin but I think we all knew that anyway.
    Living MY dream.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    I don't but I consider mass start cat 4 races to be too dangerous to do whilst having a proper job.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Do you consider that pursuing the sport of cycling to be dangerous?

Only in the Pyrenees :wink::lol:
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    VTech wrote:
    If you measure it like an insurance company which is probably best for the question you asked you would have to say yes. If you take out life cover and you confirm to them that you take part in time trialing or any form of multi-field riding they load the premium.
    They don't however load the premium if you cycle on your own or with friends.

Judging on that I would say risk is definitely greater for the sportier side if cyclin but I think we all knew that anyway.

In the same vein, my accident and injury policies exclude racing and time trialling but do not exclude sportives, I specifically had sportives checked and they are covered.

My travel insurance excludes racing, time trials and cycling off road. Interesting that road cycling abroad would be covered but not mountain biking off road.

Only problem is foreign sportives, which often are races.