Urgent advise needed - Boardman Team HT

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
A brand new Boardman Team HT 650B has just come up 2nd hand at an excellent price. It has never been ridden but has to sell for financial reasons. I'm 6ft with an inside leg of 33" and I think that puts me between an 18 and 19", the one for sale is an 18". I can't get to a Halfords (none local to me) and I have to put a deposit on the bike if I want to secure it so can anyone advise if the fit would be ok?

This is my first mtb so I'm not very clued up on these things! If I put a deposit on it and when I go to collect it, how can I tell if the fit is correct?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fit is all about feel. there is no way of telling I am afraid unless you understand all the geometry or can try it. Of course you can make minor adjustments.
  • dazz_ni45
    What should I be looking for when I try it (I'm a roadie)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't want to feel perched on top like a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    cooldad wrote:
    You don't want to feel perched on top like a road bike.
    +1 for this,

I'm 5.11 and 32" leg, medium (18") is fine for me. Had a shot of my m8s large mtb and felt perched on top of it, my bike feels like I'm in it rather than on top of it
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • dazz_ni45
    Bike bought, many thanks for the advise, now just need to work out how to adjust rubbing brakes before I can get it out for its very run
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Centre the calipers by loosening, holding the brake lever then tighten back evenly on both bolts. This should centre the brake. A bit of rub may still happen. Just ride it and it should all settle down.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im about the same size as you and would find the 18" too small.
    Be careful, quite a few Boardman bikes are stolen from the shops, make sure the seller has reciepts.