Felt F75 vs CAAD 10

vineland
vineland Posts: 13
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first new road bike. I've spent the past two summers on an old Nishiki, and rented an Allez for a couple of fondos (which was alright, but not in contention due to price!)

I'd like to stick to 'traditional' or 'race' geometry as that's what my current set-up is. I've narrowed down my choice to either the

2014 Felt F75 - $1450
2014 CAAD10 105 - $1700

I have no intention of racing aside from a couple of triathlons and maybe another fondo or two. Really I just want a bike I can smash my friends on.

I've taken both bikes on short spins around the lbs and they felt good, but I'm concerned about the reach of the F75. It's a bit more aggressive than the CAAD10 and I wonder if it will feel less comfortable on longer rides (such as grand fondos, etc), more harsh, increase fatigue or feel less stable when really cruising downhill.

Do a couple centimetres in reach make that much difference? They're still the same style of frame.

As an aside, I prefer the lbs that sells Felt (as well as the price), but otherwise I'm not too sure. Is the extra $300 worth it to buy the Cannondale?

Thanks, any/all advice is really deeply appreciated!

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Loads of guys/gals in my club ride Felt F series: from Cat 1s on F1s to juniors on F95s. Everyone loves them without question. I rode an F85 for a couple of years and had no complaints on comfort, stability or anything else for that matter.

Bear in mind that you don't need to run the bike with a slammed stem and can always fit a shorter one if you think you need it. When sizing your bike look at the stack/reach figures and the head/top tube length. Perhaps a smaller or larger sized Felt would suit more? (Larger because of taller head tube/stack, smaller because of shorter top tube/reach).

The Cannondale CAAD10 is a top bike for sure, but I don't love them the way I do Felts!
  • The CAAD 10 runs a 12-27
    while the F75 runs an 11-25

Will that make much of a difference?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Not worth basing your decision on that difference. Ask your dealer to swap the cassette if you think you'd prefer the 12-27.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,892
    A cassette can probably be had for £20-£25 anyhow, and even if they will not swap and you have to pay, you could sell the unused one on for minimal loss.

I have a 05 Felt F70, and love it, really nice bike, well made, and a good responsive ride.

Had there not been a phenomenal deal on a Scott CR1 frame I would almost certainly have bought another Felt.

Can't say I see that many out on the roads in the UK either.

I do realise you are not in the UK!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks for the comments about switching out the cassette - I'm new to bike specs and technical talk and didn't realize that could be done so easily.

Does the 11-25 just give me less of a shifting range? Less ability to climb with higher cadence?

I don't understand - is the Felt fitted with a compact?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,892
    Without looking, I would assume from the other post that both bikes have 50/34 chainrings at the front.

The difference on the rear cassette, assuming the above to be true, is that the 11/25 will have a larger top gear versus the 12, and the 25 will not be as small a gear as the 27.

Net result being for the same cadence you can travel further on the 11/25 than the 12/27.
    This also means you will not have as a low a gear available if it's hilly where you are, and or you like to spin as opposed to push a big gear.

Difference is not huge imho and easily and cheaply (comparitively) rectifiable if needed.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Cool, thanks so very much for the comments - definitely alleviated some concerns of mine.