Hybrid Choice £500 -£600

martindocherty
martindocherty Posts: 5
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I have been cycling semi seriously for 2 years on a heavy old Diamondback mountain bike, and now I have decided to take the plunge and buy something a bit more expensive.

I tend to ride mostly on tarmac but I often ride along Blackpool promenade which in parts gets a little bit bumpy and sandy. I also like to do the occasional bridal path type off road such as the Preston Guild wheel so I think that a hybrid is the best choice for me.

My budget is around the 500-600 mark and i have found a couple of bikes that caught my eye. I am in no way an expert though and I would love to get some feedback from you guys on here as £600 is a fairly big chunk of cash to squander.

The two bikes I have narrowed in on are:
Scott Sub Speed 30 2014 Hybrid Bike--http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sub-speed-30-2014-hybrid-bike-ec056055#features

and
Boardman MX Comp Bike 2014 --http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_992090_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#tab1

As I said though I actually have very little clue on specifics of bike components and I am very open to alternatives and advice.
One thing i should add is i am quite a heavy guy so that may or may not influence my choices.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• well if you go for the Scott you may want a paper bag over your head, im 17 and that colour does not appeal to me in the slightest so god knows who that is aimed at! it also means dirt, scratched and oil marks show up more and finally it stands out more which if you leave your bike locked up you don't really want!

The 2013 boardman was a lovely bike they seem to have gone for a glitzier colour scheme this year and they have downgraded the spec i believe.

Either bike would be ideal; personal id go for something second hand, most hybrid users won't own a full carbon road bike (some do) so they won't have really ridden the bike hard so it will be like new.

i say this as i have a 2013 boardman hybrid that i bough in december of ebay, i bought it for £400 and the owner paid £999 for it in the summer and well the pedals still hadn't been attached. the bike is perfect for the commute to college.

so personally id go second hand and only sped £400 isn which leaves £200 for upgrades or a holiday or whatever you need it for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-hybr ... 4ace6d1f1d

at £265 absolute bargain!!
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Hi Martin,please see my advert here
    viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12952028
    It doesn't have a suspension fork but it's not something you need on a commuter bike.I'm selling it with so little use as I now have 2 road bikes and use one in winter instead of this so it's not being used.You are welcome to try it first,no probs.I'm 5" 7'ish and fits me ok but I have saddle fairly low.It is very comfy to ride and I have had road slick tyres on it and have no trouble keeping up with mates on full road bikes.
    I you can't pm me, email me on j.walter At ntlworld.com