Fixed Penalty Notice - Bloomsbury Way

ex-pat scot
ex-pat scot Posts: 939
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Well that was me told.
Cycling from Holborn towards Oxford Street along the bus lane, was pulled over by a gaggle of police.
"not allowed to cycle here" said he, pointing to a nice "no cycling" sign a good 12 feet up a lamp-post.

Fair enough - I had incorrectly assumed that bus lane = OK for cycling, and was more interested in the plethora of vans, illegal parking, dodgy manoeuvres etc happening all around, to notice that sign. Silly me.

Apparently it's a bit too narrow to allow both buses and bikes to use the same street.

:oops: Not much I could say really. I won't be cycling along there again. £50 fine and a caution. Ho hum.
Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire

Comments

• edds
    edds Posts: 156
    Be careful what route you take as an alternative: http://andywaterman.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... lborn.html
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • The bus lane over kingston bridge is also bus/taxi only there are separate bike lanes but are slower and more awkward.
  • edds wrote:
    Be careful what route you take as an alternative: http://andywaterman.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... lborn.html

Thanks Edd. Sobering reading!

I didn't have the nerve to "massage" my details though when asked for them. Getting caught (I'm not a good liar!) by the police when providing false information would be far far worse than the £50 FPN
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Were you the guy on twitter this happened to? (this was mentioned by one of the london bloggers).

The disgusting thing about this is they have agreed to remove this restriction under pressure from cycling campaigners/the mayor etc and yet despite knowing the alternative route is a killer and despite knowing the restriction is being removed soon they still waste their time doing this...on the small chance a bus will get held up for 5 seconds.

Way to go, police!!