Motivation

2»

Comments

• I started commuting by bike mid way through 2012 and its the norm now 5 days a week, motivation has never been an issue as the alternative of bus or car is slow and frustrating and I miss the energy boost from being on the bike!
  • I was going to share how I maintain my extraordinarily high levels of motivation.........

............ but I don't think I can be bothered.

:roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Spend a week commuting on public transport in London at rush hour/peak periods...

Trust me, you would never run out of motivation after that!!
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Motivation...?

Well, I'm not sure really:

20120306_070252.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    CiB wrote:
    I'd lost a bit of enthusiasm for getting up at 6:40 to ride 20+ miles in the cold dark wet winter mornings, but surprise surprise that old trick of driving halfway and riding the rest is working a treat. 10 miles, about 35-40 mins, it's close to daylight by the time the bike takes over. Is that an option for you? It used to strike me as utter madness to drive somewhere, dump the car and then ride the rest of the way.

I've been struggling since moving to Kent from Surbiton. Got a new brompton and having been doing the short ride to the station then train to London Bridge then ride to the Wharf. It's just not as much fun doing 5 miles from London Bridge as doing the whole trip from Surbiton, you don't really have time to get into it or indeed any proper SCR. The 28miles over the north downs and very early start mean im unlikely to do the full route. Am now looking at driving to Chelsfield and biking the 12 miles from there to the office, will have a crack a that next week. If that solves to problem then i won't have to renew my £4K season ticket when it expires in March, which is powerful enough motivation. :shock:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    I'd lost a bit of enthusiasm for getting up at 6:40 to ride 20+ miles in the cold dark wet winter mornings, but surprise surprise that old trick of driving halfway and riding the rest is working a treat. 10 miles, about 35-40 mins, it's close to daylight by the time the bike takes over. Is that an option for you? It used to strike me as utter madness to drive somewhere, dump the car and then ride the rest of the way.

I've been struggling since moving to Kent from Surbiton. Got a new brompton and having been doing the short ride to the station then train to London Bridge then ride to the Wharf. It's just not as much fun doing 5 miles from London Bridge as doing the whole trip from Surbiton, you don't really have time to get into it or indeed any proper SCR. The 28miles over the north downs and very early start mean im unlikely to do the full route. Am now looking at driving to Chelsfield and biking the 12 miles from there to the office, will have a crack a that next week. If that solves to problem then i won't have to renew my £4K season ticket when it expires in March, which is powerful enough motivation. :shock:

:shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Koncordski wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I've got some friends who commute from Ramsgate to East London every day. 2 hours door to door and £6k each for the season tickets.
    They have a lovely house but 20 hours commuting a week and paying that much for the privilege really doesn't float my boat.

I would suggest cycling, but I think 900+ miles a week might be a bit much!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I've got some friends who commute from Ramsgate to East London every day. 2 hours door to door and £6k each for the season tickets.
    They have a lovely house but 20 hours commuting a week and paying that much for the privilege really doesn't float my boat.

Tour de Commute
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Think you've hit the nail on the head, I presume in some cases people do those sort of commutes to fund a lifestyle that is then compromised by the long commute?
  • I've got a different impending problem with motivation I think.
    With a change of premises the ride will soon be ten miles each way (out from N London) instead of about six (just inside the Nth Circ) that I've been doing 5/5 for several years now. I think a hundred miles a week and more time commuting might start to eat away at the pleasure that I still get from that self-reliant hour every day, not to mention leaving me less inclined to pedal at weekends - really painful that one if it happens - snacking all day, and so on. I'm thinking perhaps I'll ride 3/5 and drive 2/5 (means buying a car, holy-moly) but then, what's this, I lose the effortless routine and habit of just knowing there's one and only one way to get to the job, no need to weigh the pros/cons, just get out and go. When I start to think about it, the ride has got right under the skin over the years. No doubt I'll find a way; I sense that inevitably it'll be quite a big shake-up where there's the one inescapable factor which is that, regardless of transport choice, getting to work is just going to take longer.

OK I've nearly talked myself into it; because the alternatives are so utterly ghastly everything'll be fine...
    I'll mod the bike so gearing and everything are totally tuned to the route. Lighter hoops. Perhaps better waterproof kit. It'll soon be spring.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Kieran_Burns
    I do 12 each way and generally did (hiatus due to change in work, now over) 4 days a week. My cycling mate does 12 miles 5 days a week and will change this to a 18 mile loop quite often (in fact he did the 18 mile loop every day until I found him the 12 mile alternate)

Oh and he runs 5 miles at lunch as well.

I'm going for the guilt approach on this. Is it working?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • For those who cycle some days and drive others, how do you choose? Do you say that e.g. Mon-Thurs is cycling and Friday is driving, regardless of the weather, or do you start looking at the forecast first? I would imagine it's easy to slip into not bothering?
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    I do just over 20 miles a day (18 miles in and 2.5 miles back) and take the occasional day off. The way I choose the day is simply to cycle every day until I can't be bothered.

I find that if I plan to take a day off (Wednesday for example) then something else will come up in the week such as drinks or lazyness or torrential rain that means that I don't go another day as well. Then I've missed two days.

I guess if you are going to take a particular day off, make it a Friday so you've got more energy for the weekend.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • Kieran_Burns
    If I do a 3 day cycle week I cycle Mon / Weds / Fri

If I do a 4 day cycle week I do Mon / Tue / Thur / Fri

I stick to it as a way of making myself go out on crap days
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    South West Trains want nearly £15 a day
    It isn't quicker
    If its raining i'll get wet walking either side of the train journey anyway
    Strava is watching me.
  • Went away for Christmas/NY so didn't cycle for 3 weeks straight (while eating and losig fitness). First day back yesterday, motivation all gone - thought it was the fitness thing but it's not that because I enjoy working back up to speed.

Realised I'd bought Cav's second book a few days before and was actually resenting the fact I couldn't read it on my commute (the only time in my day I ever get to read is on the train)! It's the small things...
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Rode yesterday, got drenched on the way home, didn't care. 17 miles total, 13.5mph average there and back so fairly happy.

Drove today (long teaching day and early meeting with a parent) and feel crap.

There's a pattern here isn't there!
  • Yes, getting soaked on the way home makes you feel crap the next day?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Yes, getting soaked on the way home makes you feel crap the next day?

Getting wet means you teach more?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    :roll:
  • for me though Public Transport isn't that long, takes 40mins but it's two stages, it's bus/train and then walk.

bike is under 20mins.

I miss not being able to know exactly when i'll be somewhere rather than have to be early just in case, so that for me is motivation!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    What's been sapping my mojo this week?

Not sure but it had me flat out on the sofa all Saturday and Sunday and it's making me get headaches if I ride to hard, turns my lungs inside out if I let my heart rate and breathing get to high/hard which makes me cough up all sorts and hurts my chest. Still, I've only missed one day because of it.

I ride the long way with a good effort on the good days so I've got the stamina to take the quick way, slowly on the bad days.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Never had an issue with motivation but then door to door from E&C to Westminster is about a 8-9 minute commute for me.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    iPete wrote:
    If its raining i'll get wet walking either side of the train journey anyway

This is the one factor that usually swings it for me - I'd rather arrive at work soaked, have a shower and get changed into dry, clean clothes than arrive at work having travelled in on damp public transport.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    My motivation is taking a pasting at the moment. There's a dedicated shower room in the office which is absolutely great but since Xmas the hot water has been a bit sporadic - never knew whether it was going to be hot or freezing. I had a chat with the office manager and it turns out that the boiler is in the cleaner's cupboard and when they go to turn off the light they sometimes also turn off the boiler. So I got in early one day to catch the cleaners and explain that one switch is for the light and one for the boiler and can they please stop dicking about as I may end up killing one of them. I even sellotaped a sign over the switch to physically prevent them turning it off.

Come in this morning and they've turned it off again
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Perhaps you need to tape a plastic box over the switch!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I never struggle with motivation for the commute. Getting out at weekends it a different matter at the moment though.
  • I got paid early last month (middle of December) and overpsent during Christmas, I have no money left and its still two weeks to pay day. No motivation required as I have no other option its either cycle or walk 13miles each way to work.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Perhaps you need to tape a plastic box over the switch!

I found the culprit. It's the same person who thinks it's hysterical to let the air out of my tyres.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • WarrenG wrote:
    Perhaps you need to tape a plastic box over the switch!

I found the culprit. It's the same person who thinks it's hysterical to let the air out of my tyres.

In that case I would rewire the switch in a 'certain' way. He/she will only switch it off once more.