Upgrade (existing Allez) or new bike (Holdsworth)?

PerformingMonkey
PerformingMonkey Posts: 218
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I love my Allez and was planning to carry out some upgrades on it this year. It is still pretty much the standard spec but I was aiming to upgrade the whole groupset to 105 (for performance - from Shimano 2300) and buy some carbon wheels (for looks - from Alex rims on Alex hubs). The usual internet searches found the groupset at £349.99 on Merlin and the wheels at £399.99 (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPX52CCL/ ... r-wheelset). Therefore total cost (planning to fit myself) £749.98.

However I then saw this thread viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12930431 and did fall in love a little bit with the Holdsworth. A bit of googling and found http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOFIRULT ... -road-bike at £999.99.

The plan would be to sell the Allez to contribute to the Holdsworth.

The bike would be used for a combination of triathlons, sportives, training and long rides with friends.

So any thoughts on which way to go? As I say I have been nothing but happy with my Allez but I did also fall in love a little bit with the Holdsworth and fancied something a little bit different from what I see when I am out and about.

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Holdsworth looks very nice and seems a great bargain. Only 7 small left, but if that's your size, jump on it.

Your Allez with 105 and those wheels is still going to be a fairly heavy alu bike, I'm guessing 19lbs or so. The draw of carbon, 11 speed Ultegra and 2lbs lighter bike is hard to resist!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    If it were me (and it's not!), I would bite their hands off for an 11 speed Ultegra full carbon frame for under a grand, and from what you write I think you are leaning that way as well? It might be worth while to try and get as many opinions as possible, online reviews etc, but at first glance it looks a Billy Bargain!

Aside from this, strange that they say it comes with a 11 speed cassette, but is listed as having 20 gears - typo I suspect.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    er, check the prices on the holdsworth - I have received an email with one for 699 !!! may not be the ultegra one..
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Planet x have a few Holdsworth's in at the minute. I have been oggling over them. I think I might go for the Trentino. The spec is full ultegra, full carbon frame for £899. The £699 is with Sora I think. They also do a coupel of other models for £999 with Sram Rival or Ultegra depending on which model. Have a look and see what geometry suits you best and then get one bought. Your Allez will still be an Allez after you have spent a fortune on it!