Is it ok to use a 9-speed wheel on a 10-speed bike? (Turbo)

Lightning
Lightning Posts: 360
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hello everyone,

I had to take my turbo bike in for some repairs and I'm guessing I won't have it for another week or so. In the meantime, since I could use the turbo during the week, would it be ok to take the wheel (9-speed), put it on my training bike (10-speed) and use that on the turbo?

I don't want to use my "real" wheel because the tires are expensive and would be destroyed by the turbo. I also don't want to change the tire to my turbo one because I use the turbo and ride outdoors on the same days.

Any help appreciated as I'm clueless about this :?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Gears will not index.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The freehub on both wheels are the same. You will need to remove the 10-speed cassette (plus 1mm spacer) from your training bike and put it on the 9-speed turbo wheel.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As per the previous replies, the indexing of the rear derailleur will not match your 9 speed cassette because the spacing and number of gears are, obviously, differnet. You could probably re-index your derailleur and just have a derailleur move left over after spanning the cassette but then you have to do it all over again to switch back to your 10 speed wheels - I'm sure you don't want to get into that. However, there's also another problem in using a 9 speed cassette with your otherwise 10 speed drivetrain. A 10 speed chain is narrower than a 9 speed chain so it wouldn't be a good idea to try running a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette. I think Hypster's suggestion is the only way to go that makes sense.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Thanks for the help guys (and the explanation Ai_1). I guess I'll have to find a different solution as I use the turbo right before commuting to work and after getting home.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i use a turbo wheel with a 8 speed cassette with 10 speed shifters

its not perfect but ok for on the turbo
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Swapping the tyres doesn't take THAT long - 10 minutes?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}