Headset size

Topbanana0
Topbanana0 Posts: 28
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to change my headset, but I'm a bit confused by sizes.
The one fitted is 'Ritchey OE 1 1/8“, semi integrated 44/50mm'
What does that all mean? What does 1 1/8 and 44/55mm refer to?
Cheers
Also what's, tapered, threadless, integrated?

Comments

• Cheers supersonic, very helpful.
    Also how much difference would price make, price range from under £10 to over £100?
    Would a £30 headset be much better than a £10 set, or are you paying for a name and some bling?
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Topbanana0 wrote:
    Cheers supersonic, very helpful.
    Also how much difference would price make, price range from under £10 to over £100?
    Would a £30 headset be much better than a £10 set, or are you paying for a name and some bling?

What bike is this going on - and what's the reason for the change? Is it worn (loose) or sticking and if so, how long has it lasted? If it's lasted well - then replace with the same (~£20 I would guess).

If not - then, as you say, there's a big variance in price. I've used FSA headsets, usually around the £25-£30 mark and not had any problems with them. I've also used Hope (~£70 IIRC) and wouldn't say it's any better than the FSA.
  • BigAl, it's for a Scott Scale80, which I guess doesn't come with anywhere near top end headsets.
    ATM they are functioning ok. But I took them apart to grease, and notice that water has got in. And they don't look in great shape.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep running it until it dies.
  • Like it supersonic, if it ain't broke don't fix it lol.
    But unfortunately I think that time will be soon.
    When buying, what do I look for, is 1 1/8 the most important or must it be '1 1/8“, semi integrated 44/50mm'
    Still a bit confused
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Topbanana0 wrote:
    When buying, what do I look for, is 1 1/8 the most important or must it be '1 1/8“, semi integrated 44/50mm'
    Still a bit confused

It needs to be all those things.

1 & 1/8 refers to the diameter of the fork steerer
    44 is the outside diameter of the cups (where they fit into the headtubes). (Or the inside dia of the headtube)
    50 is the outside diameter of your headtube (I think)

Like Supersonic says - keep on running it till it dies
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I had a headset that I thought had had it in 1999 - still using it ;-)
  • Thanks for all your help, I changed it for a ' Cane Creek' headset.
    Although the old one was still serviceable, I just like to fiddle with things. :-)