Rapha race cape

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,573
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I've just had a Rapha race cape delivered. Its a lovely jacket but I'm not sure its what I need. I'd like a full on rain jacket that will keep me dry if I end up stuck in rain for a couple of hours. Im doubting that this will do the job mainly because 1. its very light and 2. Rapha also do the rain jacket and hardshell jacket. Would they have three full on waterproof jackets in the range?

Can anyone with experience of the race cape help me out? Id rather have it than a gore oxygen gt but only if its really gonna keep me dry.

Cheers, Gary
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    It will keep you dry, why not email Rapha and ask them?
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Key features:
    Waterproof
  • Pour some water drops on it... if the water gets absorbed within 5 minutes, return it... if the water stays on the surface in nice round droplets, then it is waterproof... easy!
    left the forum March 2023
  • gsk82
    there's plenty of jackets that say they are "waterproof" but will only keep you dry for a 10 minute shower. I'm wondering if this is one of those or weather i could ride for say 3 hours in the rain and still be mostly dry under it. that's the kind of performace i'm looking for from this jacket
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    there's plenty of jackets that say they are "waterproof" but will only keep you dry for a 10 minute shower. I'm wondering if this is one of those or weather i could ride for say 3 hours in the rain and still be mostly dry under it. that's the kind of performace i'm looking for from this jacket

Maybe you should be looking at mountaineering equipment then... but you are barking at the wrong tree... a 100% waterproof jacket is not what you need
    left the forum March 2023
  • If you want proper waterproof go with something like Arcteryx. I like Rapha (just bought a Pro Team jacket) but from what I have seen I wouldn't put money on any of it being truly weatherproof.

TBH I am inclined to the view that if you plan to ride in the rain for 3 hours the best you can hope for is to be wet but hopefully not too cold...
  • gsk82
    cheers for the replies guys.

i think i should've gone for the gore oxygen gore tex to be honest. a number of user reviews i've read for that state that you can ride for hours in the rain and still be pretty dry. i don't intend to go out in the rain but there's times like news years day when it rained an hour before it was forecast to so i was in it for around two hours. i also don't want my summer holiday to Bormio to be totally ruined by not been able to ride for more than 30 minutes in rain without freezing..
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Castelli Muur. I have been caught in several downpours, one absolutely torrential, and also longer periods of constant rain/drizzle (90mins-2 hrs). It's never let in a drop. If I'm riding hard then i still get soaked from the inside though...
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Send the jacket to me and I will arrange a long term test and feed back at a later date.

A three hour ride in heavy rain (unless temperatures are nice and warm so it is quite pleasant) probably needs more than a race cape, more like the Rapha Hardshell.

While I don't have the race cape (do have the hardshell, rain jacket and pro-jacket) I suspect the race cape is more designed as a lightweight jacket to keep some rain/spray off and importantly some protection from the cold on descents. As for out and out rain jacket to keep you dry all day I very much doubt it. Will you be racing with it?

But as indicated happy to do a trial for you.

SV
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Have we not been down this road many times?

100% waterproof on the outside only makes you wet on the inside (from perspiration).
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I did 400 miles in Yorkshire in December and actually never used my waterproof! My Rapha softshell was good enough. That is kept most of the rain out while being fairly breathable.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I don't get on with waterproofs.

I do carry a rain jacket in saddle bag but can't be bothered with it as makes me sweat so much I get soaked anyway , so its only kept for emergency use, so i don't freeze if i have a puncture etc.

When it rains I just ride faster & at a higher cadence to keep warm.

Was completely soaked through on Wednesday for around 2hrs but nearly dry when got home as wind dried me out.

I don't belive ther is such a thing as a waterproof material that is properly breathable.
  • Flasher wrote:
    Have we not been down this road many times?

100% waterproof on the outside only makes you wet on the inside (from perspiration).

This.
  • gsk82
    Cheers for the reply Sir Velo. I won't be taking you up on that kind offer though, as selfless as it was :wink:
  • gsk82
    I decided to keep the jacket and wore it for the first time yesterday in a thunder storm. The jacket was great, kept the rain out and I wasn't particularly sweaty underneath so really impressed with it. Unfortunately a patch of oil got the better of my tyre and the ground got the better of the jacket so its heading back for repair.

Great jacket though, exactly what I was looking for.
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Good for reporting back and sounds like an interesting piece of kit, but really sorry about your "off", especially as it was first ride out with the jacket. (Bike ok?)

(Sorry should have asked are you ok?)

SV
  • gsk82
    Yeah i'm fine, couple of grazes but nothing bad. It was actually my dad's bike as my winter hacks awaiting a new freehub and he's away so let me borrow it, but it's fine. No damage apart from the jacket.