sram x9 shifters

atomic fox
atomic fox Posts: 95
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
had my boardman pro about 10 months and already on my second set of x9 shifters. the original ones never shifted crisp and to be fair halfords did replace saying sram were aware of some problems. the replacements don t shift too slick now,the x7 s on my wifes bike are better .should i go back halfords? do i change the inner cable,and where does that exit the shifter? could usually get round problems with shimano stuff,ie changeing shifters and cables but seem stuck on the sram stuff.thanks for any advice.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    X9 can work very well, my son has them, so either it is s specific problem with a small batch of shifters (and you've been unlucky) or you have another issue that they didn't fix when the swapped the shifters.

It would help if you described the actual problem in detail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would change cable - inner and outer first.
    As I have said before 99.9875462145897897% of shifting problems are due to cables, assuming the mech is indexed correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Also had shifting problems with my Boardman Pro HT last year which changing the cable didn't fix. Needed a new rear shifter, which took an age getting, as it seemed that the world's stock was being used up on warranty replacements.

Seems like it was just a bad batch of shifters as it's fine now. As CD says, look at the cables before doing anything else.
  • bike at halfords now.they agree there is something wrong with the shifter and will repair or replace. having run shimano deore and alivio previously on my last bike both these units shift crisper than the x9 which are high end sram range.maybe been unlucky and hopefully can be resolved.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had trouble with X9 shifters not lasting long, the ratchet mechanism strips. Its worth the upgrade to X0, tthey're a big upgrade.
  • spoke to halfords yesterday,they are replacing the shifter and are dealing with sram uk distributor (fisher i think?) they told me should the problem arise again then they would upgrade the model.sounds like x0 is the way forward then,will do some research.thanks rockmonkey.