Ribble Gran Fondo 2014

Tiberius007
Tiberius007 Posts: 195
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
maiden post here so I hope this works :D .
I am after some advice on the current Ribble Gran Fondo complete bike with 105 groupset?
Is the bike as good as it looks ( I know looks should not be the key driver to a purchase) but it does appear good value too?
I have a slight niggle about the externally routed cables, my old MTB and current road bike have internal routing across the top tube, so is this a problem with the Ribble? I ask as I have a habit of using the top tube to lift, but suppose I could adapt for such a nice bike if it really is a good performer.
Also the frame geometry is supposed to be for a more relaxed and comfortable ride which is what I want, compared to my current road bike - will I really notice a difference? I am not overly bothered about breaking the land speed record :D
Anyway any advice anyone has would be appreciated and I would be pleased to hear from you.
Many thanks

Comments

• evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    I had a 2011 GF and loved it. Thought it was a steal at £960 when I bought mine (veloce g/set) and loved the look of the bike. Always found it a smooth and comfortable ride. I don't race but mine did some decent mileage and it was a pretty tough decision to get rid (replaced by a Supersix Evo Hi-Mod). They've gone up in price a bit but still represent decent value and never regretted buying mine. That said, tgere are some great 2nd hand deals around now which were not around when I bought mine. Seen some steals on here for around a grand recently.
    All the gear and no idea...
  • Evs78 - Thanks for the reply and advice (and I know the post worked hurrah)

In your opinion am I worrying unnecessarily about the external cable routing?
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I doubt you'll find many Gran Fondo owners who don't like them :). I have the 2013 model (same as this year) and it's a lovely bike to ride. Definitely a comfortable bike for long rides - I went out for a 70 mile ride last summer, got a bit lost and ended up covering 100, but didn't suffer any discomfort for the unexpected 30 miles. Can't comment on stiffness as I'm not an especially large or powerful rider, but I know they beefed up the BB area on this version because of some feedback from previous models. Same with the fork - it's quite chunky, but now full carbon which brings the weight down a touch from before.

Never had an issue with the exposed cable when lifting, what do you think would be the probem?

What are you currently riding? I guess the geometry does fall into the current 'sportive' style, but it doesn't have the huge head tube that many other sportive bikes seem to - closer to a tarmac than a roubaix by a long way! Unless you're riding an out and out race bike at the moment (and can actually get into a decent aero riding position), I doubt you will notice a difference in speed.

Roll on spring and some decent weather!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JamesEs wrote:
    Can't comment on stiffness as I'm not an especially large or powerful rider, but I know they beefed up the BB area on this version because of some feedback from previous models. Same with the fork - it's quite chunky, but now full carbon which brings the weight down a touch from before.

I doubt this as it happens. The old Gran Fondo is far chunkier than the new one which almost looks dainty in comparison. I suspect that that is as much a reason for the weight reduction as the carbon fork steerer. I'm also not really heavy enough to flex many bikes but I've never heard anyone say the Gran Fondo isn't stiff - more the reverse.

The GF also does have a shorter frame for its head tube than most Sportive bikes - including Ribbles own Sportive.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    I have spent several months researching my next road bike purchase, looking for quality and value for money. My final selection after spending hours on line and visiting several bike shops is the Ribble Gran Fondo. I have spoken to a couple of owners of the gran Fondo while out riding and they confirmed all the positive things that users say about the bike. I also did some research on the origins and quality of the frame which also came out looking pretty good. I don't think you can beat it for value for money unless you get a really good deal in the sales or perhaps go for something from Planet x which might be of the same standard. They are now doing a full carbon road bike with Ultegra groupset for under £1000.
  • jameses
    1964johnr wrote:
    I also did some research on the origins and quality of the frame which also came out looking pretty good.

I would be quite interested to hear what you found out. It seems most of Ribble's other models ar of the open mould variety, but I haven't seen anything with the same frame shape as the Gran Fondo out there.
  • Thanks guys,
    you clearly know your stuff in terms of bikes, I am a relative novice although I have probably been cycling since I could walk, its probably only in recent years that I took it that bit more seriously, well since I decided to play less football etc sad times that come to lots of us, so looked for something energetic to replace it. I have had my Scott S40 for about a year, I was a bit niaive at the time and didn't fully understand all the different frame geometries etc. Thought all bikes were the same, how wrong was I!
    Anyway that's the reason why looking for a new one, don't think the Scott would be particularly great for any great distance without doing me some damage to me.
    The only issue I had with exposed cabling especially on the top tube is that I tend to lift bikes there, and my current bikes all have internal across the top tube, so I just assumed it was going to intefer with the tension if I keep grabbing at it.
    Also just seen an article on the Merlin Malt CR in cycling active and looks good value on offer at £900 with full 105 set, just not many reviews of them online, unlike the Ribbles so don't know if that is a bad thing? I like the Ribble so much more but at nearly £300 for the same spec the mind boggles. Choices choices. What did we ever do without the www to research.
  • JamesEs wrote:
    I doubt you'll find many Gran Fondo owners who don't like them :). I have the 2013 model (same as this year) and it's a lovely bike to ride. Definitely a comfortable bike for long rides - I went out for a 70 mile ride last summer, got a bit lost and ended up covering 100, but didn't suffer any discomfort.

Never had an issue with the exposed cable when lifting, what do you think would be the probem?

Roll on spring and some decent weather!

Now lets see if I use this quote functionality do properly :? Apologies if it goes wrong. :roll:
    Glad to hear from an actual owner that the Gran Fondo is comfortable, that really is what I am after to cover some tarmac without incurring lots of pain. As well as the bikes fabulous looks, vfm and lightness too. :)
  • rolf_f
    JamesEs wrote:
    1964johnr wrote:
    I also did some research on the origins and quality of the frame which also came out looking pretty good.

I would be quite interested to hear what you found out. It seems most of Ribble's other models ar of the open mould variety, but I haven't seen anything with the same frame shape as the Gran Fondo out there.

The Gran Fondo is a Deda frame. The Gran Fondo evolved from the Ribble Ribelle which I think at one point was the same as the Dedacciai Ribelle - does look it. The Dedacciai may have always had the ISP as a distinguishing feature from the Ribble. You can certainly follow the evolution all the way from start to end!

Dedacciai Ribelle
    blog_import_4ec5373dadadf.jpg
    Ribble Ribelle
    DSC_7014-1.jpg
    Mk1 Gran Fondo (note shape of chainstays in particular)
    axkyuw.jpg
    Mk2 Gran Fondo (mine 8) )
    P1000432ed_zps2f39f15f.jpg
    Current edition
    8482440276_7911465430_c.jpg
  • hmmm.

Cant comment on the 2014 one, but the last Grand Fondo was flexy IMO. I was 75kg. Unless this was the result of a layup to be more comfortable, I didn't really rate it when I rode one. The hanging rear break cable is just....errrr

My Mekk Poggio 2.5 is miles better to ride. Lighter and stiffer.

Found Paint comes off Ribbles easy too. My Ribble 7006 Alu chips if you blow on it.

Dont think the likes of Planet X and Ribble are that good a value for money. Esp if you compare to the likes of Canyon and Rose etc.
  • rolf_f
    Found Paint comes off Ribbles easy too. My Ribble 7006 Alu chips if you blow on it.

Funny, my 2010 unflexy Gran Fondo has a total of 17500 miles and yet there is barely a chip on it. Maybe it's something you ate that's stripping the paint off your Ribble.

Is that the Mekk Poggio with the gear cables that go down the side of the down tube in a weird way? That's just.....errrrrr :wink:
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited January 2014
    Rolf F wrote:

Funny, my 2010 unflexy Gran Fondo has a total of 17500 miles and yet there is barely a chip on it. Maybe it's something you ate that's stripping the paint off your Ribble.

Is that the Mekk Poggio with the gear cables that go down the side of the down tube in a weird way? That's just.....errrrrr :wink:

Dont know if flex is the right wording or not but it felt softer when pushing hard up a hill or picking up speed. Also used to feel soft in a tight bend. This is in comparison to the Poggio however that does air on the too-stiff side of things sometimes.
    Mind you if its designed for long distance it could be the trade-off for comfort? - Haven't they thickened out the BB on the 2014 one?

My cable is tucked away nice - no more rubbing on the head tube though ! :P :wink:

And yeah the excuse I got from ribble regards to the 7005's paint was "it was fresh from the factory so may need time to harden" - WTF ?
    It did chip and scuff easy though - and not so much now.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    JamesEs wrote:
    1964johnr wrote:

Mk2 Gran Fondo (mine 8) )
    P1000432ed_zps2f39f15f.jpg

This really is a nice looking bike. Do you find it comfortable to ride?
    And curious what is the weight of this build/set up?
  • hmmm.

Cant comment on the 2014 one, but the last Grand Fondo was flexy IMO.

Dont think the likes of Planet X and Ribble are that good a value for money. Esp if you compare to the likes of Canyon and Rose etc.

Are the Mekk frames/bikes any good? just looked at the Poggia 1.5 with Sora set for £700? wondered if that was a good frame to start with an build up to 105 gearset later? Seems good value for carbon frame :? but what do i know.
  • rolf_f

Thanks. I've survived 17.5k miles on it and I'm still alive so yes - it is fine for me. Longest ride was 187 miles and I did feel a bit of a mess after that but I think that's more down to the stupidity of the ride than anything to do with the bike.

Weight wise I don't know - but not particularly light. I think if you search you'll find weights of early GFs quoted on here. The tubes are big on this version and the fork is pretty lardy (Hope have a few of these in their own colours for use by the staff but they put them on carbon steered forks). The Sportive was (until the new GF came out) notably lighter than the Gran Fondo but the geometry of the GF was a better fit for me and I wasn't bothered about the weight anyway. I got this bike for the commute a few months after buying my Look 585 - so I was happy for a bike with similar spec that cost a third of the price of the Look to be a bit heavier than it!

Incidentally, as I said, for me the bike is anything but flexy but then I am light. What I do notice is how well the Ribble stands up to the Look (and the Look 585 was a frame that won a prologue of the TDF so it has impeccable pedigree!). Whilst riding the Look is always a special experience, I never feel when I get back onto the Ribble that I am riding an old bus! In performance terms there is little in it which is why I struggle to take seriously comments about supposedly inferior 'low end carbon'. As I see it there are good frames and bad frames and price has little to do with which is which.
    My cable is tucked away nice - no more rubbing on the head tube though !

Ahh, I see the new ones are all internal. Look at presumably the previous versions and they have external cables with a ludicrously high cable stop that limits your cabling options for no reason.

More bargains - full carbon Tiagra for £700 and a good name on the frame! I rather like it! Not seen any on the roads which is a bonus for me (Gran Fondos are a bit thick on the ground hereabouts!)

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOTRTIA/holdsworth-trentino-shimano-tiagra-carbon-road-bike?utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On+One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=aa187d4aca-10%2F01%2F14+-+Holdsworth+Carbon&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-aa187d4aca-272065433
  • Rolf F wrote:

Thanks. I've survived 17.5k miles on it and I'm still alive so yes - it is fine for me. Longest ride was 187 miles and I did feel a bit of a mess after that but I think that's more down to the stupidity of the ride than anything to do with the bike.

More bargains - full carbon Tiagra for £700 and a good name on the frame! I rather like it! Not seen any on the roads which is a bonus for me (Gran Fondos are a bit thick on the ground hereabouts!)

Thanks - the planet x bikes look good. dont know a great deal about them but people do seem to say they are good. Full ultegra set for price of a Ribble GF . Wow. But it seems to be a racer rather then a relaxed sportive.

MAybe I should have stuck with my 20 yo MTB :D:cry: :? oh to have choices.

Still like the GF though
  • jameses
    I weighed mine as I was building it. The frame/forks/spacers/top cap/bottom bracket/seatpost clamp/derailleur clamp/barrel adjusters came to 1765g, so it's no heavyweight. Wish I had weighed the frame and forks separately, but was anxious to get on with the build!

Total build weight was 7.8kg without pedals / 8.2kg with. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12914183
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited January 2014
    hmmm.

Cant comment on the 2014 one, but the last Grand Fondo was flexy IMO.

Are the Mekk frames/bikes any good? just looked at the Poggia 1.5 with Sora set for £700? wondered if that was a good frame to start with an build up to 105 gearset later? Seems good value for carbon frame :? but what do i know.

They seem to be. Reviews are always very positive. The 1.5 recieved a very positive review recently. Lots of positive feedback and reviews from users inc me.
    I would say the Poggio is a sportive bike more on the racy side comparing it to the grand fondo

I was dubious at first as they were a new British company, but they are now on the 3rd series of bikes that will come out this year.

Frames are the same through each model, so yeah a sora has a higher end carbon frame with group set and mekk branded parts to get the price down. As you go up the ranges they become higher spec.

They are currently heavily discounted due to the new 2014 range coming soon with full group sets. But mekk are right with the frame first ethos. I was impressed from day one, however wheels were upgraded straight away.

Rose and Canyon however are very hard to beat in regards of what you get for your £.
  • jameses
    Oh, and the cable thing - I tend to pick mine up around by the top tube close to the seat tube (so I'm not pulling on the cable), but even if you are all you woud be doing is the same as the brake lever does!
  • hmmm.

Cant comment on the 2014 one, but the last Grand Fondo was flexy IMO. I was 75kg.

Dont think the likes of Planet X and Ribble are that good a value for money.

I have to say I did like the look of the Mekk but didnt know much about them, the bikes do look nice and good vfm, but I was concerned that the may just be a stiff as my Scott. Surely if the Ribble is 'flexy' would that not make it a bit more forgiving?

Apologies if I have this wrong.
  • JamesEs wrote:
    I weighed mine as I was building it. The frame/forks/spacers/top cap/bottom bracket/seatpost clamp/derailleur clamp/barrel adjusters came to 1765g, so it's no heavyweight. Wish I had weighed the frame and forks separately, but was anxious to get on with the build!

Total build weight was 7.8kg without pedals / 8.2kg with. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12914183

Thanks James
    That seems a very reasonable weight to me, I am probably closer or just over 10kg currently so 8.2 will prob feel like a feather. :D
  • JamesEs wrote:
    Oh, and the cable thing - I tend to pick mine up around by the top tube close to the seat tube (so I'm not pulling on the cable), but even if you are all you would be doing is the same as the brake lever does!

Thanks again, I suppose it is just a matter of adjusting the handling, or as you say it does minimal disruption anyway. Either that or I wait and see in Ribble bring out a new GF frame. I did ask them that they said one was probably on the cards but could not say when. That is probably so purple make purchases now rather than anticipate a new frame....

I still do like the look of the bike. I probably need to take a visit upto their HQ and see the bikes in the flesh
  • I must stop asking all these questions :) Sorry

Have Ribble had sales on their bikes in the past? They only seem to be doing parts currently.

Whereas lots of other companies are doing bikes too. Should I decide to purchase I would hate to do it at the wrong time, but I get the impression that they may not have bike reductions for some reason. Obviously always nice to get a discount and something closer to the £1k just seems much more palatable.

Any ideas? Or do I just have to do it.
  • hmmm.

Cant comment on the 2014 one, but the last Grand Fondo was flexy IMO. I was 75kg.

Dont think the likes of Planet X and Ribble are that good a value for money.

I have to say I did like the look of the Mekk but didnt know much about them, the bikes do look nice and good vfm, but I was concerned that the may just be a stiff as my Scott. Surely if the Ribble is 'flexy' would that not make it a bit more forgiving?

Apologies if I have this wrong.

The Mekk Poggio is forgiving until you get on really rough, roads and small potholes / missing surface. Still stays planted and doesn't skip around. It copes well soaking up the buzz and average pitted/rough surfaces you get on normal roads for example. I guess its a tradeoff of sorts.

I would consider Mekk again over Ribble that'd for sure but my heart is set on a Rose bike.
  • rolf_f
    I must stop asking all these questions :) Sorry

Have Ribble had sales on their bikes in the past? They only seem to be doing parts currently.

Whereas lots of other companies are doing bikes too. Should I decide to purchase I would hate to do it at the wrong time, but I get the impression that they may not have bike reductions for some reason. Obviously always nice to get a discount and something closer to the £1k just seems much more palatable.

Any ideas? Or do I just have to do it.

The bikes are already cheap! You can make small savings using the Special Edition pages assuming you don't mind less choice. But the price of a Gran Fondo, with Campagnolo Centaur groupset and Khamsin wheels and the CSN carbon seatpost (the spec I got in 2010) is pretty much the same now as then. The only downside being that Campag Centaur isn't as good as it used to be but that's not Ribbles fault!
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    I have the GF2013. Love it. I went for the campag volece group set in sliver and camp wheels with the special edition - fantastic value for money, looks amazing and rides just as well.
  • Rolf F wrote:

The bikes are already cheap! You can make small savings using the Special Edition pages assuming you don't mind less choice. But the price of a Gran Fondo, with Campagnolo Centaur groupset and Khamsin wheels and the CSN carbon seatpost (the spec I got in 2010) is pretty much the same now as then. The only downside being that Campag Centaur isn't as good as it used to be but that's not Ribbles fault!

Thanks Rolf, just wondered if they did have bike sales. Think I need to pay the showroom a visit, else I am just going go go mad looking online. Thanks for all your help/advice.
  • fsman wrote:
    I have the GF2013. Love it. I went for the campag volece group set in sliver and camp wheels with the special edition - fantastic value for money, looks amazing and rides just as well.

Thanks for the advice, Seems they are good vfm so likely I will make a purchase sooner rather than later.
  • Thanks to you all for putting up with my questions and giving me your opinions, much appreciated.
    I was considering a Merlin but didnt get many reviews on www and not one hit on here (forum) so I guess they are just not that popular/good = despite the good review in cycling weekly
    THink I need a trip down to Preston to see them first hand. Think the GF is still my #1 choice at this moment.
    Thanks guys.
  • rolf_f
    Been practicing with my new camera - need more practice I think but these aren't too bad!

P1000442ed_zps8d8f156d.jpg
    P1000469_zps294a395a.jpg
    P1000464_zps4d221e66.jpg