Headset question.

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I am wanting to swap my carbon forks from my Ti bike to my new frame the new frame is an integrated headset the Ti frame is threadless so my question is can my forks swap straight onto the new frame with the original crown race from the threaded headset or will I need to remove it and instal the integrated headsets crown race onto the forks?

Thanks.

Comments

• carl1983
    Also the other problem is wether I need 36x45 or 45x45 fit? My frame is a Monoc TC2 concept Quattro Pro which is no longer made and I can't find any detail on what headset it may need! the frame is around 2005-06 if that helps?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Assuming the steerers are the same size just use the new crown race and it'll fit fine. Might look a bit odd but will work fine.

As for what headset, measure it; FSA make a tool
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You need to sort out your headset nomenclature. Integrated headsets are a type of threadless headset, (threadless = A-head).

A threaded fork should NOT be used in a threadless headset. If the fork isn't threaded, remove the old crown race and fit the new one. That way you know for sure you've got the correct taper.
  • carl1983
    Ok so my biggest problem now is whether I need 36x45 or 45x45! I know fsa do a tool to measure but I don't want to be paying £12 for a tool I will use once, is there any way of telling which I need?
  • carl1983 wrote:
    Ok so my biggest problem now is whether I need 36x45 or 45x45! I know fsa do a tool to measure but I don't want to be paying £12 for a tool I will use once, is there any way of telling which I need?

I tried to do this recently by photographing the crown race and the compression (split) ring (the bit that contacts the upper side of the upper bearing. I then printed the photos on A4 paper and measured the angles of the faces with a protractor (I too didn't fancy shelling out the £15 for the FSA tool which I would probably only use once). I am certain the aspect of the bearing which contacts the head tube is always 45 and its the aspects which contact crown race (lower bearing) and compression ring (upper bearing) which can be 36 or 45.

FWIW mine were both 45 but I am a bit baffled still as the bearings seem to be 6mm high and 45x45 Campy seems to be 6.5 or occasionally 7! Still that's one to resolve another day trying to avoid shelling out for a vernier calliper to measure it properly!

PS - Bloody Spesh putting in OEM bearings that were unmarked!!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    carl1983 wrote:

As above, the part that contacts the frame will be 45, so if you're buying a whole headset you just need to make sure you are buying the correct diameter bearings.
  • carl1983
    Thanks for that, I have ordered a full headset so it obviously doen't affect me then! I measured the diameter as 41mm and height 6.5mm and ordered a FSA headset (36x45) with those measurments. Thanks.