What fork for cotic soul?

methers27
methers27 Posts: 36
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have just invested in a cotic soul frame and I am in the market for a set of forks to match, I would really like a travel adjustable fork but I'd want to use it almost in reverse so run it at 120mm normally and extend to 140mm for descents. My question therefore is rockshox dual position revelations or 2014 talas. Or any other suggestions?
And also what to get at about 120mm fixed travel if my budget becomes too tight?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got the DPA Revelations and they are ok if you don't mind the set up being a bit off in one position.
    Mine are set up right at full travel but are then a bit too soft when dropped to 120mm. I generally just leave them at 150mm now though.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    20mm of adjustable travel is not worth the extra cost in any way, especially if the max length you're going to be using is 140mm. X fusion velvet is a great option at a great cost too, and you can adjust it to pick how much travel you want. Avoid fox ctd. Too expensive and not any good anyway.
  • rockmonkeysc
    How about just spacing down a fixed travel Revelation to 130mm? You're not going to notice the extra 10mm on climbs or 10mm less on descents and theres less to go wrong.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    thats a good idea too but the velvets are cheaper
  • So if I go for fixed what length is a best choice?
  • rockmonkeysc
    130mm is the obvious compromise between 120 & 140.
    150mm Revelations can be dropped to 130mm using spacers. I should have thought X Fusion Velvets could be dropped as well but not sure.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I've wondered for a while whether you could get 130mm Revelations - seen 'em on complete new bikes, but not as an aftermarket option.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter has 130mm Revs, but they started as 100mm Recon XC's (Rev chassis despite the name) and we lengthened the travel so not sure that helps!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    How much have you got to spend? Id have a look at a coil sektor which get good reviews.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    On a soul these would be great - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox- ... -prod90169

Awesome damper, very adjustable, the best through axle in the business and at that price, an absolute bargain
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats a reasonable price, they were never worth the full price of £750.
  • lawman

I must admit I never paid full price for my 32's as I got them through work, and if I were to buy a new fork now, it'd probably be a pike. Tbf though my basic 32 RL's are reasonable, marginally better than the Revelation Race's they replaced and loads stiffer too.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    RL has no compression damping!
  • A friend of mine has just built up a Soul and he has gone with the Velvet, he really rates the set up. His are at the maximum 140mm travel but they can be spaced down all the way to 100 mm. I've got x-fusion slants on my big bike and they are very good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:

I must admit I never paid full price for my 32's as I got them through work, and if I were to buy a new fork now, it'd probably be a pike. Tbf though my basic 32 RL's are reasonable, marginally better than the Revelation Race's they replaced and loads stiffer too.

I found the Floats more flexy than my Revs. The revelation race is very basic.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

I found the Floats more flexy than my Revs. The revelation race is very basic.

Tbf the rev's were qr with a standard steerer, 32's are 15mm and tapered. There was nothing particularly wrong with the Rev, dual air was a faff though, can see why they dropped it. Both forks cost me £300 and for that money, the Fox is better imo, at full price I wouldn't go Fox though.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Rookie wrote:
    My daughter has 130mm Revs, but they started as 100mm Recon XC's (Rev chassis despite the name) and we lengthened the travel so not sure that helps!

Not really, but thanks anyway. :lol: