New ASO stage race for Yorkshire

2»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I'm just glad it's in a decent part of the world for cycling and not Surrey with a London finish. Be even better had there been some tie in with the Peak District national park or some reason to get them to come into Derbyshire of course.

As for 3 day races, why not, outside of the classics, the grand tours and a couple of one week races such as Paris Nice, Dauphine and maybe a couple I've missed out I don't think there is too much that is set in stone. That said it's important to recognise that some races are important nationally if not internationally and it'd be silly not to be sensitive to that and build on existing races rather than ripping too much out and starting again. Also can you imagine the moaning we'll get from the peloton having to ride Friday night crits if it's wet !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm just glad it's in a decent part of the world for cycling and not Surrey with a London finish. Be even better had there been some tie in with the Peak District national park or some reason to get them to come into Derbyshire of course.

You would imagine that, if the race becomes well established, and moves around Yorkshire rather than being hosted in the same place every year, that there could be a stage into Derbyshire. Indeed, you could say the same about them going into County Durham too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    AndyRAC wrote:
    . Sounds similar to what happened to World Championship Rallying 15+ years ago. Instead of going all over the country during midweek, etc Base it in a smaller area, over a weekend.

Whether it can work for cycling is another matter.

And in many people it was the death of the World Rally Championship and the 'RAC Rally' (now Rally GB). Previously it was over 4 days and it was a massive event reaching loads of the country including Wales, the Midlands, County Durham, Keilder and up into Scotland, as a result it was the biggest spectator event in the UK with TV coverage too. Now it's a shadow of it's former self confined to doing loops out of Cardiff and barely gets a mention on TV.

Yep, I used to love getting out and following the RAC around the tough forest stages. Two years ago they had stages at the Celtic Manor FFS, it's only 2 miles away but I just couldn't be bothered.