Scott scale 80...upgrade or not?

Topbanana0
Topbanana0 Posts: 28
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Hi I have a Scott Scale 80, which I bought last year and it's my first mtb.
As you can see from the spec below, it's not the best bike in the world, but it's currently ok.
I'm and older ride, but not afraid to have a go, I normally ride the 'Afan Valley' The Wall/Whites etc. In the next couple of months I will hire a full sus bike, and ride my normal runs. As I want to see how much difference it will make to my riding.
Apart from the tyres and grips my current bike is still standard, what I would like to know is should I upgrade? Or is it a waste of money? What would you change? How far would you go before it becomes false economy?
Thanks

SPEC
Frame
Scott Scale Alloy 6061, custom butted tubing, CNC machined Dropouts, Integ. Headset, replaceable hanger
Fork
Suntour XCR LO, Coil spring, Lockout, 100mm travel
Headset
Ritchey OE 1 1/8“, semi integrated 44/50mm
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Deore, RD-M592 SGS, Shadow Type, 27 Speed
Front Derailleur
Shimano Alivio, FD-M430, 34.9mm
Shifters
Shimano Alivio, SL-M430-9, Rapidfire plus, w/gear indicator
Brake Levers
Shimano BL-M445 Disc
Brakes
Shimano BR-M446 Disc, 180/F and 160/R mm Rotor
Crankset
Shimano FC-M430-8 Octalink, 44x32x22 T
BB-Set
Shimano ES25 Octalink, 68-118mm
Handlebar
Scott Pilot 18 Team, 18mm rise, OS, 680mm
Stem
Scott Comp, 4 Bolt, OS 31.8mm, 1 1/8“, 6° angle
Pedals
Wellgo C128
Seatpost
Scott Comp, 31.6mm
Seat
Scott Racing
Front Hub
Scott Comp Disc CL
Rear Hub
Shimano FH-RM35 Disc CL
Chain
Shimano CS HG-50-9, 11-34 T
Spokes
Stainless Black 15G, 1.8mm
Rims
Alex XC-44 Disc, 32H, Eyelets
Tires
Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.1, 50EPI, Active Line

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing stands out as below par, wait until something needs changing and then upgrade unless you have a specific issue you want to address. Forks are not the best, but are damped and reasonably light but after a year the best upgrade would probably to give them a service and fresh grease!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.